*sigh* Yet another issue with my new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *sigh* Yet another issue with my new PC

This morning was about the 5th occasion now that when I'd go to use my PC, it wouldn't respond. When I left the computer the night before, nothing CPU or disk intensive was running.

The screen was off (I have it shut off for power saving), and when I moved my mouse to wake it back up, it would not respond.

Num lock, etc etc also would not respond.

My Power Options in Windows CP are as follows:

Turn off Monitor: 10 mins
    Turn off Hard Disks: 1 hour
    System Standby: Never

Hibernate: NOT enabled

---------------------------------

I was forced to hard power down the machine. I tried to reboot it several times and it would not post. Nothing in the case felt hotter than mildly warm. I walked away from it for 30 mins, and it turned right on. I immediately went into my BIOS to view my temps, and the CPU was around 95 degrees F, which is what it runs at normally in Windows.

What gives??

you sir have gremlins... it's the only answer that makes sense

Honestly though, that is weird. I've heard tell that if the local admin profile has one setting and your account is Power User and you have another.. .the admin will win. Doubt this is your problem though.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Sounds like an issue with ACPI.

assuming you have the right drivers for your GPU and motherboard chipset there are a couple other things you could try.

go into your BIOS, some motherboards can only handle S1 or S3 but not both at the same time. if your system is set to S1, try S3 and vice versa.

i actually gotta jet but i'm sure the others here will continu helping you with this.

1. See if you can find an ACPI test tool.
      2. try a different video card
      3. try different power supply.

right, i'm off.

*waves paw*
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

My work machine does that sometimes. Two things: I can still VNC into it (odd). I can use the power button to make it go into hibernation, and when I hit the power button again it comes right back to my desktop where it should be.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have this same problem sometimes. On my PC it's because my beloved Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17 is demanding retirement (after almost 9.5 years of constant daily use!). It DOES wake up if I switch it (the monitor) off and on again, so the issue is that the monitor isn't waking up from standby when the computer does (maybe the GF6600GT doesn't re-initialize the display correctly or something?).
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yeah, but in this case his keyboard doesn't respond either.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh, you're right. Must write this down somewhere: 1. Wake up, 2. Read MURC. Sometimes I confuse the order - mostly when I'm not yet fully awake.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'm pretty sure ythis is video card related. Pretty much the exact thing would happen with my system if left alone for a few hours. Monitor would turn off, hard driver would spin down and the system wouldn't wake back up from moving the mouse or keyboard. Reset button would work fine though. Eventually I decided to try setting the monitor to never turn off and I haven't had any trouble since... just gotta remember to turn off the monitor manually. Oddly enough, when I got a new video card at some point the problem went away and I can use the monitor off setting again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  My work machine does that sometimes. Two things: I can still VNC into it (odd).
                  I have a linux box at work with the SAME exact issue. I can VNC/SSH into it, but I can't use it from it's own mouse/kb. WTF?

I can use the power button to make it go into hibernation, and when I hit the power button again it comes right back to my desktop where it should be.
                  I have my power button setup to Power Off.

So I guess you have hibernation enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                    I'm pretty sure ythis is video card related. Pretty much the exact thing would happen with my system if left alone for a few hours. Monitor would turn off, hard driver would spin down and the system wouldn't wake back up from moving the mouse or keyboard. Reset button would work fine though. Eventually I decided to try setting the monitor to never turn off and I haven't had any trouble since... just gotta remember to turn off the monitor manually. Oddly enough, when I got a new video card at some point the problem went away and I can use the monitor off setting again.
                    Very Interesting! I will use the same settings from now on, and set a screensaver to test your theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                      I have my power button setup to Power Off.

So I guess you have hibernation enabled?
                      No, I don't. Isn't that fun? I have the monitor set to go off after 20 minutes, and everything else on all the time. This problem seems most likely to happen though after I RDP into the box from home.

Comment

I hate computers.

Comment

try updating your mobo bios anyway, and maybe also ask the screensaver to require a password when it comes back from sleep

Comment

I tired updating the BIOS, but according to AsusUpdate, I don't have an Asus board. Stellar. (I have an Asus a8r mvp).

I was cleaning up my wires the other night, and I noticed that my mouse and KB were still plugged into my USB KVM, which wasn't plugged into anything else. That thing can be glitchy, so I removed it. Hopefully that contributes to fixing this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                              I tired updating the BIOS, but according to AsusUpdate, I don't have an Asus board. Stellar. (I have an Asus a8r mvp).

I was cleaning up my wires the other night, and I noticed that my mouse and KB were still plugged into my USB KVM, which wasn't plugged into anything else. That thing can be glitchy, so I removed it. Hopefully that contributes to fixing this issue.
                              had similar issue when i tried to update my asus a8ve deluxe. apparently there is a /nw (no wireless) version which i have.
                              /meow
                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                              Asus Striker ][
                              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                              X