• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to a (very) small planet?

In Science Mag.;

A Human NEO Visit?

Adventures in Near-Earth Object (NEO) Exploration

"If we are seeking a new vision for human exploration in space, it should be emphasized that astronauts could visit a small NEO without developing a lot of new space hardware. Veteran astronaut T. D. Jones and his colleagues have put forward a mission concept where a modified Soyuz crew vehicle, refueled and docked to the International Space Station (ISS), takes astronauts on a several-month "vacation" to rendezvous with an Earth-approaching asteroid, returning to the ISS for stories of adventure to be told around the galley. Perhaps asteroids are the logical, achievable first focus for human rocketry beyond the Moon; if so, then missions such as Hayabusa are paving the way."
    Hayabusa is a Japanese probe currently exploring the NEO Itokawa.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 June 2006, 23:20.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It was initially designed for moon after all... And amazing how long it's still in use. I even somehow hope that the Russians won't terminate Soyuz because of new vehicle they planning...

Comment

This would be very very cool.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
      X