2D matter observed.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D matter observed.....

UPI delivers the latest headlines from around the world: Top News, Entertainment, Health, Business, Science and Sports News - United Press International

Physicists: raiders of the lost dimension

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., June 1 (UPI) -- U.S. physicists say they have taken another step toward understanding the quantum mechanics of the universe.

Researchers from the Tallahassee, Fla.-headquartered, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory say the advance came from the study of a pigment that was used in China more than 2,000 years ago to color Xi'an terra cotta warriors.

When the pigment is exposed it to very high magnetic fields and very low temperatures, it enters a state of matter that is rarely observed: it loses a dimension, going from 3D to 2D.

Theoretical physicists have postulated that kind of dimensional reduction might help explain some mysterious properties of other materials -- such as high temperature superconductors and metallic magnets -- that occur near absolute zero. But until now, a change in dimension had not been experimentally observed.

"As often happens in science, we found something we weren't looking for," said Marcelo Jaime, an experimental physicist at the magnet lab's Pulsed Field Facility in Los Alamos, N.M. "Much to our surprise, we found that when the temperature is low enough, the transition into the new magnetic state occurs in an unexpected way."

The study appears in the journal Nature.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 June 2006, 11:26.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

that explains why cartoon characters, which are drawn with pigment, are all 2D
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Be careful with the stuff. It might drag you towards a cosmic string fragment.

Comment

Another story;

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thats not 2 dimensional "matter" thats a two dimensional magnetic field/wave, but pretty cool all the same, could lead to some nice findings in superconductors.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
            that explains why cartoon characters, which are drawn with pigment, are all 2D
            HA that would make artists quatum physicists... which is funny if you ever try and talk to most art types about math or science.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X