What audio codec to use with DivX ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What audio codec to use with DivX ?

I would like to use VirtualDub to make DivX movies but I'm wondering what audio codec I should use ? Currently I'm using MP3 but I think that creates a too big audio stream since I'm using a pretty small video stream and then the audio stream is a too big part of the file. I'm not too keen on using the MS proprietary WMA format (and I can't seem to get it to work) but thought about Oog Vorbis f. inst. but then my problem is that I haven't a clue as to how to install OV as an audio codec that I can select in VirtualDub (I'm running a W2k system). So any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated...

Cobos

------------------
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!

MPG-3 takes to much room!!?
    What sample rate are you encoding at?
    Personally I dont use a high sample rate usually 44khz at 128k/s although converting from 48 to 44khz lowers the sound, but even encoding at 48khz shouldnt take that much room....

------------------
    MSI K7TPro2 Duron 750@900
    512Ram G400DH32mb
    Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
    msn messenger id: mkanashta
    DFI NFIIUltra 400
    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
    Windows XP pro
    msn messenger id: gchisel
    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

This of course might have more to do with my shitty soundcard than the encoding (SB Vibra 128 but currently I found 48khz and 256kbit/s to be the smallest bitsize with acceptable quality, I'm seriously considering a new soundcard but I can't afford one now.. So I still need some tips here...

Cobos

------------------

Comment

usually I use 128kbps You must have sensitive ears...but anyways im sure there was a thread here on which codec people prefer and and I cant recall its something other than that fraunhufer(wrong I know) codec but I cant seem to remember Lame encoder I think!? but also it could be your speakers too??

------------------
        512Ram G400DH32mb
        Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
        DFI NFIIUltra 400
        756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
        Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
        Windows XP pro

Comment

Both the Fraunhoffer and the Lame encoder are variants of the MP3 format (if I'm not mistaken) so in essence I've tried those already. It could as you say be the combination of a lousy soundcard and mediocre external ampliphier, but I'm using high qulity headphones when I'm checking the sound so it can't be the speaker part...

Cobos

------------------

Comment

the vob files I convert using divx are about 170mb with 128kbps so 256 is your minimum so it might work out to 200mb which aint that bad really. have you tried using the divx fast-motion codec and setting crispness to 100 and the video to about 3000kbps and use the mpg3 setting you can bear... because with me it isnt the sound that gives me problems its the visual clarity and ive worked my way down from 500mb files to about 170 using the fast motion setting having not tested with a higher audio rate
            I cant give you a better idea on what to expect
            but try that and see if its any better

------------------
            512Ram G400DH32mb
            Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
            DFI NFIIUltra 400
            756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
            Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
            Windows XP pro

Comment

I'm sorry....to me the quality of DivX/MPEG-4 isn't as good as SVCD or xSVCD for local playback.

Also, the now official MPEG-4 standard is based on Quicktime and not anything Microsoft has produced.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 05 June 2001).]

Comment

QuickTime?????????

YUCK!!!!

SPIT!!!!(Runing to the bathroom and brushing my teths)

YACK!

(OK, so it might have improved since i last used QT4....)
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

No it didn´t ! I almost think it got worse, I don´t know why I always give it a try and contaminate my system with this **** !

Hey, you guys to much space on a cdr ? I prefer divx-audio, which came with the vieo codecs and which is probably the same as wma. With its 64 kbit for 44 khz it fits my demands for at least TV-quality audio. The extra space I can use for the videostream.

Friedrich

Comment

i'd suggest that you avoid divxaudio.
                    sometimes it works, but most of the time you'll encounter audio sync issues.

there is nothing more annoying than spending all that time encoding a movie and find a serious audio sync issue half way through it.

Comment

Frogster, where you got that sync problem ? Probably when using Flask ? If that is the case I suggest to use wave for output and "postencode" the audiostream with virtualdub. Takes less than ten minutes.

By the way using flask always causes sync problems but mostly very little of orders about 500ms.

Friedrich

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
                        I'm sorry....to me the quality of DivX/MPEG-4 isn't as good as SVCD or xSVCD for local playback ...</font>
                        What XSVCD encoder do you recommend? Are there any direct VCD encoders or is the stream always converted from another streaming format? Do you like/recommend the TMPGEnc converter? What audio encoder do you recommend with XSVCD? Would you consider Nero to be the best Win98/W2K VCD burning SW? I'm initially interested in archiving TV from an analog NTSC satellite signal. I would subsequently be interested in burning TV from digital BUD satellite (MPEG-2) and then original content from DV (such as a digital 8mm camcorder).

Sorry for all the questions but your post just introduced me to VCDs.

[edit]
                        Posted this question in it own thread, "General questions about SVCD, et.al.".
                        [/edit]

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 07 June 2001).]
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

lol dr. you are right that svcd offers better visuals but i want to conserve space on the hard-drive ive tried using the microsoft mpeg4 codec but am satisfied with Divx's performance...havent tried Xsvcd but if your suggesting it Im gonna take a look at it
                          but back to our guys sound problem I can only suggest you use the 256k mpg3 codec that was acceptable and even taking a look at Dr.Mordrids suggestions he is the guru around here on all things video

------------------
                          512Ram G400DH32mb
                          Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
                          DFI NFIIUltra 400
                          756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                          Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                          Windows XP pro

Comment

Working...
                          X