Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symantec AV compromised

WASHINGTON (AP)

Symantec Corp.'s leading antivirus software, which protects some of the world's largest corporations and U.S. government agencies, suffers from a flaw that lets hackers seize control of computers to steal sensitive data, delete files or implant malicious programs, researchers said Thursday.

Symantec said it was investigating the issue but could not immediately corroborate the vulnerability. If confirmed, the threat to computer users would be severe because the security software is so widely used and because no action is required by victims using the latest versions of Symantec Antivirus to suffer a crippling attack over the Internet.
    OOPS

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 May 2006, 16:55.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
    hmm..vista, symantec

Comment

Symantec seem to be going through a very bad patch. I stopped using theri AV system several months ago a) because the latest versions took over the computer beyond all hope; b) they give no support or updating for an earlier version I bought only ~2 years earlier; c) the automatic updating would not work on my computer; d) they robbed me of ~ 6 months updating fees by refusing to continue updating and e) not offering any customer service, pretending their KB covered all issues, which is not the case.

I changed to AVG, which is cheaper, non-invasive, updates automatically on a nearly daily basis and seems effective. Note: I do not say that AVG is immune from the kind of attack mentioned in the article.

This should bring the Symantec stock to a new all-time low; it has been flying very low over the past few months.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Symantec are paying the price for bloated ineffiectant software. The more complex it gets the harder it is to debug.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Bring back Mr. Norton!
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
            Bring back Mr. Norton!
            I'm sure Peter has retired somewhere cozy by now.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

SBC/Yahoo DSL gives their users an AV tool + spy/adware + popup blocker + parental controls that seem quite effective. They also pre-filter most all spam into a "junk" folder you can review online.

So far, so good.

As a result the only parts os Symantec I install are Ghost and some of the utilities.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well my Vcom anti virus and firewall has decided I'm using my software on two computers. Well I was until recently anyway it's killed my updates and prgram useage off.

Since I've got two very antispyware programs a good registry fixer that just leaves me a defrag short and a antivirus and firewall.

Nortons and Mcafee are out as they slow your machine down and not very good at detecting viri and spyware anyway.

Tried Zonealarm although I hate it. Noticable slow down so of it came.

Now running Nod32 trial which doesn't seem to slow the machine down and seems to scan what's coming down from the internet as well or so it claims.

So do I need a softwall firewall as well? I'm sitting behind a router which has an inbuilt firewall. So am I okay.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Symantec tried to build a one-size-fits-all solution, and this is what we get for it... The addage the "Bigger they get, they harder they fall" comes to mind.

I don't like these types of solutions because they remove defensive depth, while imparting a false sense of security to their owners.

I've been using NOD32 for several months: It is very lightweight and extremely configurable.

My security model is pretty simple:

Smoothwall
                  NOD32
                  Firefox
                  Hosts file for known malicious webpages.

So far it has been Airtight.

The IE7 Beta is encouraging; no more system-level runtime dependencies. It's going to be a fairly tough nut to crack.

It's about time to review a couple of things as my children are about able to surf without needing help from me. Dan's Guardian, and a Captive Portal will be put onto the Smoothwall to keep the "when and where" of their surfing in Check.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
                    The IE7 Beta is encouraging; no more system-level runtime dependencies. It's going to be a fairly tough nut to crack.

I.

I reckon IE7 will be full of holes just like previous versions. Built on an OS thats full of holes bloated big buggy. Better off starting again and fixing it from the start.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Before big bloated Symantec, there were Norton and Central Point Software. Ahhh.. the good times
                      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

The PIT: Don't knock it until you try it.
                        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
                          The PIT: Don't knock it until you try it.

Sorry I'm not a hacker

You've got to reconise it's a bolt on on top of a system built with security placed behind ease of use.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Symantec is really going downhill lately. I was just at a customer site, and they use Veritas software. They put in a "critical" level call to tech support, which means 2-hr guaranteed callback. That was 7:30AM. They heard back at 4PM.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sigh....

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X