Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLPC $100 Computer Prototype Photos

Some photos of the OLPC prototype:

There are actually three models being show in some of the latter photos. Notice how wide and narrow the trackpad is?

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Cool.

I personally don't think technology is the answer to education problems around the world, but I believe this endeavor will have more ramifications outside that debate. I'm excited to see where it goes.

I wonder how much research was done on color choice. Bright colors == kids here, but in other cultures color has more significance.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I think it is a good idea, 1 laptop can access an arbitary amount of books whether it be by internet, radio transmission or simply uploading from a disk.

To give remote people access to that kind of library in book form is simple impossible logistically and financially.

Admittedly it be a while before the distribution mechanism will be in place, but think about this one guy on bicycle with a usb memory stick can update how many 10s if not 100s of villages.

All someone needs to now is create a cheap usb radio data reciever, and then they broadcast to schools and cycle through a 100 boooks over a year for near zilch ongoing costs.

Comment

agreed M...it seems as though this could be implemented at the local school district level here as a way to save on the cost of books...plug in while at the school before going home to get homework assignments etc..

cc
        Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 24 May 2006, 23:37.

Comment

Wikipedia article on this is quite good... ("MIT 100$ laptop" or something like that)

Comment

Working...
          X