X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlexGo: pay-as-you-go Windows....,

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Honestly not a bad idea, especially for those who won't mind a lower-end system and won't be using it all that much/often. A lot of people can't afford a $1k PC outright, but a lot more can afford $500 and what could equal out to be a low monthly payment (just as an example on price).

Of course this all requires that you live in what they regard as a developing country/emerging market.

I also wonder how tamper-proof the usage monitoring is...
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Seems like a pretty bad value considering how cheap a PC is now. Plus, want to see them charge per hour for all the time you spend downloading/updating patches, AV, anti-spyware, etc?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well it's only a bad value overall for those who can say "look how cheap a PC is now". For some people, especially in certain markets, they still aren't cheap enough. This is true even here in the US.

I am interested in how they are determining usage and associated charges. If it's based on the computer being 'just' active, then it's definitely not an value proposition for anyone.

Comment

From an article on the subject:
          1. An individual purchases a PC by making an initial payment equivalent to one-third of the total cost. A third party financial institution pays the retailer the remaining cost of the PC on the buyer's behalf.
          2. The buyer agrees to purchase 800 hours of time on their PC at a low hourly rate - they can add time as frequently or as infrequently as they choose and take as long as they need to purchase the hours. The cost of the 800 hours covers the re-payment to the financial institution (including interest).
          3. Hours of PC usage can be conveniently purchased over time through a variety of distribution channels, including convenience stores (scratch cards), ATMs, Point of Sale networks and the internet.
          4. Once 800 hours of usage time is purchased, no additional payments are required to use the PC.
          The 1/3 down is still significant. Plus paying for 800 hours minimum.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I see. Didn't read this particular article as I'd already read a couple on the matter, all of which lacked some of the specifics.

Not sure what I think about it with those terms.

Comment

...i can't help but wonder if the consumer pays the state sales tax on the whole thing up front or just on the 1/3 payment ??

there alot of people where i work that would go for it, and on those terms because all they want to do is "surf the net and send / recieve email".

Comment

and whats to stop you formatting and bypassing this?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                  and whats to stop you formatting and bypassing this?
                  h/w serials and DRM type software/hardware in the nic?
                  FT.

Comment

The boxes have Transmeta Efficeon chips in them with special DRM crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X