Fast OS Switching on MacBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast OS Switching on MacBook

While BootCamp is a nice way to have access to Mac OS and Windows on the same machine, the process of having to reboot between the two is definitely a hassle.

Here's a tempting video of what could be. The setup combines the use of Parallels Desktop and VirtueDesktops, virtualization and virtual desktop solutions, respectively. Not a perfect setup, but does appear to go a ways to providing something easier than having to reboot in and out.

Do wonder if Apple will do as many are predicting and offer a 'built-in' method with the next version of OS X.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

I don't think it's in Apple's full control. Something like Xen would work very well for OS X <--> Linux, but I don't think MS has Xen virtualization in their current releases?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Apple's full control? Not sure if I understand that statement. What I was getting at was Apple offering a virutalization package in the same manner they've offered BootCamp. There has also been the speculation that Apple could go a different direction and offer something similar to or based on Wine. All of it's rumours of course and Apple is unpredictable in terms of how well rumours about it ever pan out.

Parallels is essentially the same thing as Xen in that they've both virtualization packages. MS is working towards some sort of virtualization offering, but I'm not sure where they are with that.

Regardless of vendors, virtualization is going to make a lot of lives a lot easier.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 22 May 2006, 16:06.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X