Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BT client that can run in uber-restricted enviroment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT client that can run in uber-restricted enviroment?

OK, here's the deal: I have free acces to place with computers on madly fast pipe (better than what Sasq has...), and with burners, however...they are all very restricted (running win2k). No "alien" executubles are allowed. Probably installing Firefox extensions is allowed, but it's hard to check because of old version (1.0.6). Machines have Flash and Shockwave, but no Java. And they're firewalled, but only with Zonealarm, so probably alien apps, even if executed, wouldn't have acces to the net (but since it's only Zonealarm, I doubt it would do much against "piggybacking" BT client on IE or Firefox).
    So...do you know anything that might come handy? Some client written in Flash? Or some form of AJAX/Javascript? I searched a bit, but time in this place (yep, I'm in the fast place) is a bit restricted, and for other places I have to pay for the hour...

I would have suggested Opera 9, but that's probably not running... Maybe you can convince the admin that it's a very secure browser (It has a built-in BT client)
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I tried that, uhmm, dunno, something like 1,5 year ago?
      Admin here is...slow. He's a Windows - guy. He has diploma of faculty of social sciences...
      (and yes, I seriously doubt he watches net traffic for certain phrazes )

PS. But more seriously - only Opera 9, not latest 8, right?
      Hmmm...I might try convincing them again when 9 comes out... (anyway it would probably work only in next academic year - computers ar, I think, reconfihured only during vacations and all settings are restored on daily basis or something... (left documents are definatelly gone))

Comment

You could try using port 443. I've used it with success in hotels and other environments that are typically pretty restrictive. 443 is reserved for secure transactions so it's typically not monitored and always open. But since you'll only have 1 port to work from you really won't get good speeds.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The most serious obstacle is rather that I can't run any BT client I know off (nor...any other app that isn't installed)

Comment

Well, the first thing is, is it NATed? If it is, you're hosed. BT can't run through NAT worth a damn - you'd have to port forward from the router, and that's not going to happen.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

At least, for the sake of giving MURC some plausible deniability, say that you need BT to get at linux distros.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                At least, for the sake of giving MURC some plausible deniability, say that you need BT to get at linux distros.

Should that really be necessary?

lots of general download sites (major geeks etc) has BT links for their downloads as well as normal http and ftp links.

not to mention :

Legal torrents
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Wombat, the machines, somehow, have their own external IPs each, so that wouldn't be a problem, I guess. The biggest is still that I can't run alien executables...

Comment

If the machine's got Java on it you can try running Azureus "manually:"

java -classpath swt.jar;Azureus2.jar org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main

Vuze is the easiest to use and the best torrent download software on the internet.

Comment

Yeah, one of the most frustrating things is lack of Java (especially since it was installed last year)

Comment

Can you just use software to change the mac address of your NIC in your laptop and go on with that?

Or am I forgetting something.

Comment

Yes, you are...NIC adress hasn't got to do with anything... (I don't have a laptop BTW)

Comment

How about one of those U3 USB disk drives can you not run a bit torrent client from there? E.g. a Sandisk Cruzer Titanium

and http://www.utorrent.com/

Comment

run a linux livecd/thumbdrive - or is the bootorder fixed?

mfg
                              wulfman
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X