Fly-by-wireless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly-by-wireless?

Science news and long reads from expert journalists, covering developments in science, technology, health and the environment on the website and the magazine.

Supposedly for planes and cars.

Upside: impact damage less likely to cause catastrophic control failure. Handy in a fighter.

Downside: ? jammable etc.

IMO not without EMP shielding, multiple redundency & STRONG encryption....
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 May 2006, 15:41.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Interesting...

In planes, I wouldn't like it to be the primary system though. But a wireless secondary system seems very interesting (in case wires are damaged !).
    I just wonder: in the event of a full engine failure (no fuel, ...), there are now workarounds to still provide power (Airbus folds out a windturbine ) to the elementary systems. Wouldn't wireless connections require more power as well?

In cars, the problem of intereference becomes bigger. And I don't think one would appreciate a lag in his brake-commands.

IMO, any wireless link is jammable (just keep the frequency occupied with random signals). For airplanes, possible hijackers wouldn't even need a bomb, they'd just need a signal generator (white noise ?). And I doubt any airline security would be able to distinguish this from a cell phone or laptop.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

A wave guide in the plane would make it unjammable, I don't know how practical that would be.

Comment

I don't see a waveguide being more practical than a wire.. unless it is a fiber optic cable, which technically is a waveguide
        Personally I think they should stick with wires. As vj said, maybe as a backup system, but not for the primary system.
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Airbus already uses fiberoptics, and as new designs come along so will others. Cars too are moving to optics.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X