MacBook: Back in Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacBook: Back in Black

The iBook has been remade into the new MacBook, and comes in black.

Currently there are only 13.3" models available and, as it was true for the new Mac mini, is more expensive than its predecessor. Of course, with the slightly higher cost comes three models and some upgrades. The black model is the upper-end.

Like the mini, the MacBook now uses an Intel graphics chipset, which is better or worse than the previous depending on who you ask. Other specs:

* 1.83GHz or 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
    * 13.3-inch (diagonal) TFT glossy widescreen display
    * Apple Remote with Front Row
    * 512MB Memory (base)
    * Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    * Slot-loading optical drive (Combo or Super)
    * Up to 120GB hard drive (60 and 80GB base)
    * Built-in 54-Mbps 802.11g AirPort Extreme wireless
    * Analog and digital audio in and out
    * FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 ports
    * Integrated iSight
    Last edited by Jessterw; 16 May 2006, 06:08.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

The black edition has a premium of 200$ , the only difference I can find versus the white edition is a bigger harddisk 20Gb http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html. Luckily they are equipping it with Core Duo cpu's and not Core Solo's , but the integrated gpu sucks again .
    Last edited by KeiFront; 16 May 2006, 06:27.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yuck, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. They could have at least put a better video card in it.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
        Yuck, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. They could have at least put a better video card in it.
        What? It's the entry-level laptop. What were you expecting?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          Something along the lines of an ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 with 32MB of dedicated DDR SDRAM like the iBook G4.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

It's also twice the price of other peoples entry level latops
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
              It's also twice the price of other peoples entry level latops
              Unless you compare on features.

Base level MacBook ($1099):
              * 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
              * 512MB Memory
              * 60GB 5400RPM SATA Drive
              * CD-RW/DVD-ROM
              * 13.3" Widescreen Display
              * Intel GMA 950 (1280x800)
              * 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless
              * Firewire 400, USB 2.0 ports
              * Integrated Camera

Dell Inspiron E1405 ($1046):
              * 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
              * 512MB Memory
              * CD-RW/DVD-ROM
              * 14.1" Widescreen Display

So yeah, it's more expensive than a comparative (traditional) PC laptop, but then it's a Mac and that's to be expected. Yes, the Dell above has a larger screen; however, they don't make a like-sized screen model and the 12" model isn't comparative on features.

The question still comes down to which OS you'd prefer to be using and if you are willing to pay a slight premium to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                Unless you compare on features.

Base level MacBook ($1099):
                * 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
                * 512MB Memory
                * CD-RW/DVD-ROM
                * 13.3" Widescreen Display
                * Integrated Camera

Dell Inspiron E1405 ($1046):
                * 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
                * 512MB Memory
                * CD-RW/DVD-ROM
                * 14.1" Widescreen Display

So yeah, it's more expensive than a comparative (traditional) PC laptop, but then it's a Mac and that's to be expected. Yes, the Dell above has a larger screen; however, they don't make a like-sized screen model and the 12" model isn't comparative on features.

The question still comes down to which OS you'd prefer to be using and if you are willing to pay a slight premium to do so.

Is that with or without deals you can get on a Dell? the only way you get a deal on a Apple product is if your in education for the most part and its not that great.
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

That was just straight off their page. If you bring the processor up to 1.83GHz, throw in a remote for Windows Media Center (as the MacBooks have FrontRow and a remote), the price comes to $1,175 (after $100 off).

Being it's a Dell there are surely some additional deals, but even those wouldn't make a MacBook twice as expensive. Dell can afford to offer the deals it does because of the quantity of product they ship. That said, we all know there's going to be a comparative PC-laptop that will be much cheaper, even than a Dell.

Comment

Ok I may have exaggerated a little

Apple MacBook entry level model £749

Acer Aspire 5612WMLi £669
                    * Intel Core Duo 1.66Ghz
                    * 1Gb RAM
                    * 80Gb HD
                    * 15.4" Widescreen TFT
                    * DVD-RW +/-/DL
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Which, as I said, is cheaper than even a Dell or other larger brand (at least in the US). So we're talking less Mac vs. PC than Brand X vs. Brand Y.

Comment

I was expecting an optional X1300 but after all you are right, it's a entry-level laptop.
                        Now if they had a 13'' MacBook Pro we would start talking about something!

Guess I'll buy it anyway, but I'm pretty disappointed, I'd get the Pro but 15'' is too big for my needs. Then I think I'll just sell it and buy a new one as soon as a 13'' Pro with merom comes out.
                        NocturnDragon

Comment

It looks like a good entry level package - at least as far as mac goes...

Says he typing on his brand spanking new 17" macbook pro
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hmmm...I wonder if it's worth aiming for this now, or trying to go with one of 12' G4 iBooks this summer... (initially cheaper price - 20 or 30% (as they did with minis G4) - 15% (for education) all with payment over 2 years) Basically I want something very portable for taking notes (so 6h on battery of G4 models is a big plus - BTW, anyone knows how long these things last?)

Comment

The iBooks are pretty damn sturdy. In fact, they are actually superior to the PowerBooks in that regard. I've had mine for about two years now and save for a small crack in the corner (from a drop), it's far from ready to fall apart.

The batteries do eventually run down, same as any other, but are easily replaceable. After 379 load cycles on the original batttery it's at 69% capacity (3063 mAh, down from 4400). I get an average of 1.5 to 3 hours when unplugged, and that's running apps like JBuilder and Photoshop as well as iTunes.
                              Last edited by Jessterw; 16 May 2006, 21:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X