UMSP 8 Production Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMSP 8 Production Library

What are the Preference Settings in the Production Library for ?

I set them NOT to show the item name or border. I set on transitions (FX),
    save the template, exit UMSP 8 and when I come back none of the settings
    will be as I left them.

This never happens in UMSP 7 !

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

You're right! Never noticed this, as I'm happy with the default. I'll report this.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It's amazing how stuff like this gets through beta testing.

But having done it, I can understand how it happens.

But this is a quality control issue, too.

Jerry Jones
      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

This problem has been there since day 1 and I taught that the latest patch
        would have fixed this bug !

I still have'nt got the feel of v.8 yet and this Preference Settings thing really bugs me.

Thanks guys and Brian for reporting.

Brian, will you be so kind as to post in this thread when or if you receive response
        from Ulead.

Debbie
        Last edited by Debbie; 14 May 2006, 10:40.

Comment

It's very easy for this to go through beta testing - and it's now gone through two rounds! I would hazard a guess that 99.5% of users are happy with the default settings. Our main job, as beta testers, is to look for functional bugs of the type that prevent work or that cause crashes. We simply don't have time to look into every minor detail. In this (SP1) case, we have had a few short weeks and 4 iterations to test everything, concentrating on what is new, such as the vastly improved 5.1 audio and anti-shake filters. I'll let you into a secret. During this testing, we even found a couple of unreported bugs that have existed since MSP 8.0. I know that I, for one, never tried to change the PL preferences and, frankly, it would never have occurred to me to look, because I was trying to force timeline and rendering misbehaviours.

I also beta-test some complex ECAD applications, and there is a big difference: we do not work to a rigid, short (sometimes even shortened) time schedule. As a result, beta testing a new version takes 6-9 months and the beta testers have time to use the app for real; release is done only after the beta testers give the green light. Result: between releases, it is rare for more than 2 or 3 minor bugs to be discovered. Ulead has a different philosophy and this is one where bugs are much more likely to slip through, but the user benefits from new versions more rapidly.

I don't say this to excuse ourselves, but as a simple statement of fact.

And it is unlikely we will have feedback from Ulead. As a rule, the only feedback (other than when a fix is released) we get is if the developers cannot reproduce a reported bug and they require more details. It is better that they get on with their job than to spend time on needless correspondence. I hope this bug will be fixed in SP1, even at this late stage.

Comment

With all due respect, Brian, I believe this error should have been detected by Ulead's internal quality control personnel - if not by the beta team.

During my one-year stint working for Ulead as an independent consultant, I tested most of the professional and entry-level Ulead products.

I was - to be honest - STUNNED that so many bugs reported by customers, indeed, turned out to be bugs that I could confirm.

In fact, even BEFORE I went to work for Ulead, I had to spend literally hours as a beta tester to document and work directly with the engineers to correct one of the most horrible audio issues I've ever encountered in connection with professional-level multimedia software... SCREECHING NOISE derived from the 12-bit audio recorded by one of the most popular three-CCD MiniDV Sony camcorders in history... the DCR-VX1000.

Ulead's engineers and I finally got that issue fixed, but why wasn't it caught sooner?

In my humble opinion, CAKEWALK's multimedia products are usually much more reliable than the Ulead products in this regard.

CAKEWALK often releases products that require NO PATCHES.

And CAKEWALK still manages to introduce new products on a frequent basis.

On the other hand, I think Ulead products excel in terms of EASE OF USE due to more INTUITIVE INTERFACE DESIGNS.

That strength tends to balance out the weakness - which is quality control.

I wish Ulead would IMPROVE in the area of QUALITY CONTROL.

It isn't fair to give beta testers just a few short weeks to find bugs that - in fairness - should be caught much sooner by internal Ulead staffers.

You and I both know that some of the first releases of Ulead beta software are ridiculously unstable.

This is a corporate quality control issue that still needs attention, in my view.

Jerry Jones
            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Hi Brian,

Thanks for you reply. I have'nt pointed my finger at anyone. I can immagin how complex
              it is to beta test a simple application let alone the complex ones.

My point is, if there is an item that is there for a specific function it should perform that
              function well. I like to set my working window with nothing but the timeline and the
              production library and I'm happy !

I know its not a great deal of hardship to reset the prod. library to my likeing each time
              but it would make things a little more easy if things are found as left.

Debbie

Comment

As from next Friday, you will be a Happy Bunny

Ulead does listen - sometimes!

Comment

Brian, you're the arcangel incarnate.

"Fred H" is on holiday here and I think during the next few days we will be speaking a
                  "word or two" about desktop video editing.

Thanks again Brian you made an old man happy.

Debbie

Comment

Not an archangel, the fallen angel, Lucifer, the bringer of light, the devil incarnate!

Comment

Well.... if you insist !!
                      You should put your picture then, not your son's.

Comment

Don't be imp-erially imp-etuous!

Comment

Brian, which of these did you have in mind:

Impetuous:
                          Characterized by sudden and forceful energy or emotion; impulsive and passionate.
                          Having or marked by violent force: impetuous, heaving waves.

Comment

Diabolical!

Comment

Take my advice, change your avatar, it's far to "mild" for your self description.

Debbie

Comment

Working...
                              X