Now we know why.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now we know why.....

.....some school employee unions fought Michigans new Student Safety Initiative, which mandates criminal background checks of school employees;

A statewide criminal background check of some 200,000 school employees revealed that 66 teachers and 399 other school employees are felons. Eleven more had sex-related convictions.

Under new laws to protect children, those 11 employees -- three of whom are teachers -- will be fired immediately. The other felons can keep their jobs only if the school board and superintendent approve it in writing.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I can appreciate problem and am even appalled that 11 convicted sex offenders are teachers. (define sex offender please for those of us not in the US)

Though I fully agree with the article regarding the 465 with felony convictions, people change. I just hope this doesn't bring about a witch hunt.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Sex offenders range from offences like statutory rape (legal = 16 in Michigan) all the way up to rape-homicide....basically your sex related "Law & Order SVU" crimes. All get put on Michigans Sex Offender Registry website for all to see.

Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The figure is remarkably good. I'm sure that if you took 200,000 unscreened persons at random, you would find more than 0.23% would be convicted felons and more than 0.0055% had been found out in sexual shenanigans (not necessarily involving minors, which is all that should matter).

In fact, these figures are so low, I don't even believe them! If you extrapolate the sexual offenders to the whole population of Michigan, you would get ~550 names on the list. One web site states there were over 32,000 registered sexual offenders in Mi in 2003!

There's something wrong somewhere.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
        X