Moussaoui's new "home"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moussaoui's new "home"

Early today Moussaoui took a ConAir flight to his new home: ADX Florence (Colorado), AKA "The Alkatraz of the Rockies"

ADX Florence is generally home to between 400 and 500 male prisoners. About 22 percent of inmates have killed fellow prisoners in other correctional facilities; 35 percent have attempted to attack other prisoners or guards. As a result, most individuals are kept for at least 23 hours each day in solitary confinement. They are housed in a 7-by-12 foot (3.5-by-2 meter) soundproofed room, built behind a steel door and grate. The remaining free hour is spent exercising alone in a separate concrete chamber. Prisoners rarely see each other, and inmates' only human interaction is limited to that of the prison guards. Religious services are broadcasted in from a small chapel.

The cells are 60 feet below ground.

Most cells' furniture is made almost entirely out of poured concrete, including a desk, stool, and bed covered by a thin mattress. Each chamber contains a toilet that shuts off if plugged, a shower that runs on a timer to prevent flooding, and a sink missing a potentially dangerous tap. Rooms may also be fitted with polished steel mirrors bolted to the wall, an electric light, and a 13-inch black and white television, and a cigarette lighter. Windows in rooms are small, set high up in the wall, and point towards the sky, confusing the prisoner as to his specific location within the complex.

The prison as a whole contains countless motion detectors and cameras, 1,400 remote-controlled steel doors, and 12 foot high razor wire fences. Laser beams, pressure pads, and attack dogs guard the area between the prison walls and razor wire. Built into the side of a mountain, visitors and prisoners enter through a heavily-guarded tunnel.
    His neighbors;

* Matthew F. Hale (White Supremacist convicted of soliciting the murder of a federal judge)
    * Robert Hanssen (FBI agent convicted of spying for the Soviet Union and Russia.)
    * Charles Harrelson (murdered a federal judge)
    * Larry Hoover (Leader of the Black Gangster Disciples Nation, based in Chicago)
    * Theodore Kaczynski (The "Unabomber")
    * David Lane (murdered liberal Jewish talk radio host Alan Berg)
    * Terry Nichols (Oklahoma City Bombing conspirator)
    * Omar Abdel-Rahman ("The Blind Sheik"; World Trade Center bombing in 1993)
    * Richard Reid ("Shoe bomber")
    * Eric Robert Rudolph (Olympic Park bomber)
    * Ramzi Yousef (Islamic terrorist, 1993 World Trade Center bombing)
    * Brian Askew (Co-Leader of the RCC)
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 May 2006, 14:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I saw Papillon. This is luxury.

Comment

How do they have windows if the cells are 60 feet below ground?
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Could it be just for light?

Comment

I would say so, we need some form of way to tell the passing of time. other then a clock on the wall.

seeing as the quickest cure for jetlag, is white/bright light exposure, I suspect it's to at least help keep them a little bit sane.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
            How do they have windows if the cells are 60 feet below ground?
            The window leads to an exercise area....which in reality is just another chamber with cells around its perimeter. The windows are only 4" x 24" - 36" or so and near the top of the wall. Not exactly a "picture window"

Other Supermax prisons are built octagonal or star patterns;

Wallens Ridge, VA

Butler, NC

Michigan has a Supermax State prison in Ionia, a small city in the west/central portion of the state. No meaningful pictures are available though
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 May 2006, 17:05.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X