SVCD vs VCD using TMPGEnc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVCD vs VCD using TMPGEnc

Quick one, I see that the difference between SVCD and VCD; most artifacts are gone, and aliasing is smoothed.

My SVCD is choppy, is this what the quantizer is for, or is there another setting in TMPGEnc that will lessen the jitteryness(is that a word?).

J.Klein

My first question is .. What are you playing them back on??

On my PC they always look jerky, on my DVD player they playback smothly.

paulw

Comment

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I am recording SpongeBob SquarePants @480x480 using AVI_IO w/convert to YUY2 HuffYUV, and then using default TMPGEnc settings, except with ghost/noise reduc. edge enhance, and basic color correct, for SVCD NTSC output at a max bitrate setting of 1850 bps VBR(HQ).

SpongeBob is mostly stills, with the main characters motion being the only real movement frame to frame. With VCD the motions look digitaly blurry or boxy to a degree. It's these movements by the characters that instead of looking blurry, on SVCD the movments look jittery.

I watch on both the PC and on my Apex DVD player. Maybe I just need to play with the max bitrate? Anyway, I hope this helps clarifying my problem. Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by kleinbull (edited 04 June 2001).]

Comment

"Jittery" most often means you've got the field order wrong in SVCD. It should be "Lower field first" (which is "A" in tmpeg beta 12a, or "B" in the newer versions...)
        Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Comment

Thank you FD. I'll try that. I'm sure I've read something like that here before, but sometimes I need a kick in the head to make me see the light.

Thanks again.

Comment

This link may also help. It explains the templates in TMPGE.

http://www.vcdhelper.com/tmpgencexplained.htm
            paulw

Comment

paulw
              nice link
              GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Yeas Paulw, great link. Thank you, sometimes I overlook things.

Comment

Working...
                X