AM2 socket platform drops on Monday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM2 socket platform drops on Monday!

Sorry if this is already common knowledge.

I'm not exactly up to speed with all the developments in the AMD world but the last I heard there wasn't any solid info on this and the rumour was that it was being pushed to fall.

Here's the story:

I was at an industry trade show last night put on by Tech Data, one of my distributors. It was held at the Woodbine racetrack.

The main tent had tables all around the interior perimeter and at each table were sales reps from major vendors like HP, Seagate, AMD, Intel, etc.

There was a side tent with breakout sessions by Intel, HP, Microsoft, and Tech Data. The HP breakout session was quite cathartic because after sitting through a 20 minute presentation on how "colour is hot!", "MFP is exploding!" and "TCO strategies for closing deals", I got to lay into them with how my "TCO" as an HP full line business partner was growing to the point of losing money because of their lousy drivers and support.

Anyway... that's another story...

In the main tent there was a table for AMD. The AMD rep who was supposed to be there had to go out of town on business so it was being staffed by someone from Tech Data who knew about AMD.

She told me that AM2 was being released on Monday and she listed a few motherboard manufacturers that would be releasing models as well. I only sell Asus and that was the first one she mentioned so I didn't really listen to the rest of her list but from what I gathered all the big player in mobos were part of the group.

IIRC, she said that there would be versions of Semptron and A64 (both single and dual core) released for the socket.

I asked her if this was the full AM2 socket or an iterim socket that would be obsolete in 6 months to a year (which sometimes happens with Intel and was a rumoured possibility for the first version of AM2) and she said she didn't know of any immediate plans for its replacement but she wasn't sure.

Anyway, that's my story. Feel free to ask questions if I've left something out.

PS. Almost all the vendors were giving away pens. Intel's was the coolest because it had an integrated light. Verbatim gave away crappy FM scan radios. HP was also giving away a few other swag items (mints, a mini screwdriver kit, an ID holder) but they were lame so I didn't take any.

PPS. They held a raffle at the end of the event. The top prizes were a $750 credit with Tech Data, a $500 credit with tech data and a retail box ATI X1600 Pro 512MB. If you won a prize your card was put back in the running for additional prizes. The same couple, from some little mom and pop computer store won all three top prizes! There were lots of lesser prizes too. I won an Antec case.

PPPS. Everyone was given a $5 voucher to bet on the races. We cashed ours in and went to play slots. I got as high as about $7 then went on a big losing streak. I was down to less then a dollar when I won big and went up over $5. I cashed out at $5 and bought myself a blizzard on the way home. One of my employees was up to over $40 but then proceeded to lose it all.

PPPPS. The event was catered. There was a buffet table in the middle of the main tent and there were waiters going around with appetizer trays as well. The food was really good.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!
Working...
X