Budget CPU At Top Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget CPU At Top Speeds

Interesting article at Toms Hardware site.

Read the latest computer hardware news, analysis and opinions on Tom's Hardware and get a glimpse into the future of cutting edge tech. | Tom's Hardware

This should bring some prices down... .

A.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Not bad, but you have to spend a bit on cooling once you get over 3.5 or so.
    And interstingly they don't show gaming benchmarks, the actual things overclockers atually use there computers for, I would think it would be left a bit wanting in that respect.

But still the 805 is dead cheap

Comment

They do show gaming benchmarks:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

This really speaks of the sorry state of current gen cpus.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

That is pretty good.
          I have been hearing the shared fsb of the 805 was a real bottlneck, looks like it isn't so bad.

....as long as you have heat and the power requirements covered
          Last edited by Marshmallowman; 10 May 2006, 17:46.

Comment

we are so close to Intels next gen CPU being released that buying now is silly.. unless you really really need to
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

but its dirt cheap, good for gaming, and its dualcore. its a winner in my books. If anyone is buying a computer right now I couldn't see myself recommending anything else (unless they aren't doing ANY overclocking)
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I want a reverse hyperthreaded Athlon X2

Just wondering if it must have the technology on DIE or it can be done later for older X2, bios and driver...

Comment

Watch the power consumption http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...es/page14.html should bring the running costs a bit up .
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

So you would need a CPU, mobo and RAM then.... Hmm....

Nope, the wife wont let me
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Looks neeto.
                      But, you could buy three or four of the motherboards my overclocked XP2600 runs on for the price of a motherboard that supports the 805.

My power supply and what not are ok and I think it would still cost me $500 to do the upgrade.

And that would include just a mediocre video card.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd prefer a stock Athlon X2, half the power consumption, less heat generated, less cooling, less electricity bills.
                        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                          I'd prefer a stock Athlon X2, half the power consumption, less heat generated, less cooling, less electricity bills.
                          I'm with you on that.
                          The one think I like about the Intel chip, it should drive the prices down some more.
                          A.
                          Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
                          X