Infrared webcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared webcam

Finally tried this "hack" recently (with plain old Logitech Quickcam Express USB, first version). Basically you just have to remove IR filter in lenses of the camera - details of placement probably vary, but it's the part that gives "reddish look", small, 1mm thick square in my case, removal of which is easy.
    Results: washed out and unnaturall colours, weird looking eyes, BUT much. much higher sensitivity. Previously my webcam needed typical lighbulb somewhere nearby to be acceptable, now candle is enough. And when I turn saturation down (b&w image), it looks mostly natural - and lack of colours isn't a problem in typical webcam usages IMHO (beeing forced to have streong light is, IMHO).
    BTW, supposedly black part from the beginning of analogue photography film, while filtering visible light, lets IR to pass - using such filter the webcam would be truly IR (now it receives both visible and near IR). Might try that out of curiosity...

IF you have analog video I/O capability you can get a B&W/IR night vision security cam from Harbor Freight Tools for ~$30 USD. Even has an IR LED array & a mic plus 80 ft. of cable;

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

They also sell a color cam w/night vision and an underwater cam.

Rest of their night tools, including starlight scopes for <$100;

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 May 2006, 20:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Nah, if I'll ever play more with this it will be on tighter budget (that's why just playing...)

And I was wondering...the "not really shining, instead warming the surroundings" lightbulb (not sure how you call them...you know, the ones with silver (or something) coating) is perfect source of IR, also near IR?

Comment

Interesting.. I had been interested in looking at how poorly my house was insulated with an infrared camera.. this looks like a cheap option, that is if I can get it to work
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I don't think so - webcam (well, at least mine...) captures only near infrared, basically same light as visible, only that...humans can't see it. Definatelly no visible signs of capturing "thermal radiation".

Comment

I have a couple of these:

Sandberg NightCam

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
            X