WMV player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMV player

Can anyone recommend a free player to randomly access a WMV video file? Windows Media Player doesn't appear to allow you to jump around within the file.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

I always assumed that was more an issue of how the WMV was encoded and not a specific issue with WMP.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen WMVs that allowed random seeking and WMVs that didn't.

I could be wrong though.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

That's correct but I wonder if there's a player that can get around this limitation.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You might try transcoding it with Windows Movie Maker or some other software.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I've never even tried Movie Maker before. I just tried importing a WMV file and it said "... is not indexed and cannot be imported." I'd rather not bother transcoding all the sequential WMV files I come across but want to simply use an appropriate player if there is such a thing. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Nope, don't think there's a way to do it. VirtualDub should be able to add keyframes and whatnot to your videos.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Drats. I guess I'll look into manipulating the files ... some day.

Comment

Try VLC! It solved the Indexing issue with a file I had, I was then able to seek it with other players as well...the prompt should come right up.
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X