3. Riverside, California
    4. Austin, Texas
    5. Phoenix, Arizona
    6. Jacksonville, Florida
    7. Tampa, Florida
    8. Dallas, Texas
    9. Charlotte, North Carolina
    10. Atlanta, Georgia

All currently have median incomes between $50,000 and $70,000 USD and expect growths from 18.5 to 35.5 percent by 2014.

Source:CNNMoney.com

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 May 2006, 21:13.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I could work in Las Vegas. I'd likely self destruct... but it would be exciting.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

If I could work in Austin & live outside the city that could work. There or Phoenix....

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Man I hate Phoenix. The city is so bland.

The problem with the computer jobs is that the past few years there has been a lull in people getting an education in those fields. Maybe it's going back up now, but I haven't seen current estimates. I'm not complaining too much since it leaves more job openings for me
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Hey! I just moved to the #8 hotspot! Somehow my move seems unrewarding now that I'm part of a statistic.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmmm! If I were advising a youngster to look for a career, in this day and age, I would say go for something related to energy. This is what Joe Public will be needing. None of the jobs listed are any use if we do not have enough electricity to meet the demand of fuel to heat the house/run the car (hybrid, of course).

As for the cities, no 1 would die first in the event of energy shortages. I would put #9 much higher up the list, as being the most research-oriented, followed by #10. The three Florida ones are growing largely because of retirees, Miami and the surrounding burgs up to WPB having become overgrown and less pleasant. Personally, I'd prefer #1 or #5 to retire to because of the climate; FL is too humid, especially in summer, and suffers increasingly from rather strong winds (understatement!).
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              If I could work in Austin & live outside the city that could work. There or Phoenix....

Dr. Mordrid
              Not anymore.
              The old Austin is gone.
              It's just Houston Jr. now.
              We have family there.
              They all want out.
              The traffic has become unbearable.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

There was another report like this from... hrm, name is escaping me... that had a slightly different set of results. Software engineer ranked as the top job, though I imagine the rankings were determined via differing methods.

It's also interesting to look at the cities listed in comparison with the top cities (in the US) to live in. Such that instead of Charlotte, NC, you would have Cary/Raleigh, NC. I really amused that my hometown is on the list, Tampa, FL. Makes me wonder if the downtown area actually has life now...
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                  The three Florida ones are growing largely because of retirees, Miami and the surrounding burgs up to WPB having become overgrown and less pleasant. Personally, I'd prefer #1 or #5 to retire to because of the climate; FL is too humid, especially in summer, and suffers increasingly from rather strong winds (understatement!).
                  Well Tampa and Orlando don't suffer from the humidity as much as other parts of the state, and I'd say that Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina are far worse at times. Not sure about Jacksonville, but Tampa and Orlando both have always had a lower population of retirees as well. They're just not cities that are entirely appealing to that demographic. The winds... well... got me there Tampa and Orlando are generally saved from the destructive force of hurricane winds, but that's less true now than it used to be it seems.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                  X