What wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wireless router?

My DLink DI-624+ gave up the ghost today. Won't even factory-reset.

I need something to replace it quick. What's the thing to buy these days? Still the Linksys WRT54G? I'm on cable so no modem wanted/required.

I guess I could build a Smoothie (probably have enough bits laying around), but splashing £50 is a heck of a lot quicker and life is just too hectic to be bothered right now.

TIA

T.
    FT.

Well, IMHO you can't do wrong with the WRT54G. I had, and still have lying around, a 624+, and I like the Linksys one better. But I could also send you the 624+ tomorrow and you put something in the server fund.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just upgraded to the Linksys WRT54-GS and it works great.

Dr.Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's a very kind offer Az, but I think I will decline it simply because ever since my line was upgraded from 600 to 2048 the router has reset itself regularly, and with a change to 10MB d/l on the horizon I dread to think how it would cope. I think it is a heat issue, or it could just be a rouge unit, but I'll take the opportunity to change to a Linksys.

I've just built someone a PC and the commission will pay for it I should charge more because I also fancy a Draytek 2900VG but they are 3 times more money!

Cheers Doc, I'll took at that one too.
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
          it could just be a rouge unit
          Since when did routers wear makeup

DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I have the Linksys WRT54-GC (very compact).

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Again with the 54's The WRT55AGUK is good too, I see alot of complaints about it on the web but I have version 2.

Comment

Hey, I was considering the 55AG (my laptop has an 802.11a/b/g adapter). But then I figured: why bother with 802.11a if I only have one laptop in an area where there are only 3 wifi networks (so I went for the cheapest proper router I could find)

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

if you get a WRT54G make sure to get the WRT54GL model. This is basically the v4 version with the linux kernal instead of v5 that is just a chip solution (and a cheap one). I just picked one up to replace my 624 and LOVE It. The dlink behaved with cable but always had issues with DSL. Now that I'm back to DSL it was super flakey. The 54GL with the HyperWRT Tofu firmware works like a dream.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

The Linksys WRTSL54GS looks pretty cool, basically it's a WRT54GS but with storage link, so you can connect a USB hard disk to it and share it across the network

Link
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The WRT54G is excellent but you should get a older revision from ebay. Alternativly the GS Is supposed to accept third party firmware (hyperwrt.org)
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thanks all.

I've got a GS on its way for Friday.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                          The WRT54G is excellent but you should get a older revision from ebay. Alternativly the GS Is supposed to accept third party firmware (hyperwrt.org)
                          Check its h/w version. HyperWRT only works up to version 2 of the GS & I believe ver. 4 is current.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 May 2006, 12:37.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Its a V4, firmware v1.05.3
                            FT.

Comment

Working...
                            X