I'm shocked.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm shocked.....

I never used my laptop (just a Dell Latitude w/Panasonic DVD-R/+R/RAM burner) for much other than with the portable telescope for CCD imaging, but since getting the Linksys Wireless-GS router a wifi card for it seemed a good idea. YES, I set it up with high security settings.

Installed a matching Linksys card in the laptop, got it working in short order then was presented with at least 20 unsecured connections in addition to our secured router.

Out of curiosity I tried and was able to connect to all of them

Now I'm really curious so I drove to all 4 corners of our city, checking the status of detected routers as I went. In ~30 sq. miles I found well over 100 unsecured Linksys, Netgear and other routers with broadband connections.

IF you have webspace with email addys who the f*** needs an ISP?

What are people doing? Getting routers & running them as they come out of the box, ignoring the setup CD entirely????

Knew this was a problem....but sheeessshhhhh....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 May 2006, 20:54.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The problem falls into that same area as most computer tasks do when one has to do anything out of the ordinary - it's too damn confusing for 90% of the population. People hear about how great Wi-Fi is and so they go out and buy a router, get it situated and then follow those wonderful quick setup guides. It's doubtful most ever look at the admin interface again unless they have a problem, and even then they'd likely just turn it off and back on.

Now, the setup CD's and those quick guides generally have a section for security, but a lot of people actually are paranoid about this area, largely because they are afraid of messing something up and being locked out of their own hardware. It may have changed in the last couple years with some vendors, but I've yet to see a router setup CD or guide that offers adequate security configuration steps. Which only adds to the problem.

I've got about 16 wireless networks in my neighbourhood. I can access (the Internet) via 12 of those that I know of. I could even access the admin interfaces for the 3 I probably shouldn't have tried (curiosity and all that), because they still had the default admin login set.

Personally I lock mine down by MAC address and by a WEP key, nevermind that the network name is not broadcast.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

No broadcast, WPA (dynamic key) & MAC filtering here, but the Linksys setup CD is so simple....

Also; I see Linksys is jumping into 802.11n at warp 9

Linksys 802.11n....

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 May 2006, 22:28.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah, 802.11n looks promising, but the pre-release products that are available, largely from Linksys, have some crippling issues in various network setups. To be expected given the state of the spec.

I guess the Linksys CD's have gotten better then, because the one I had only provided a way to set a WEP (and possibly WPA) key and the broadcast setting. Which I guess is good enough in most cases. The main problem is with the admin interfaces after the fact, which, in my older Linksys router, is lacking in terms of documentation (especially where the documentation matches the interface) and general ease-of-use. Then again, my particular router is plagued by terrible support and a bug riddent firmware, something I've not come to expect from Linksys. But that's neither here not there

I think with more consumers entering the Wi-Fi market, things will only get better in terms of easy-to-set security configurations.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

FWIW my Linksys -GS has decent online docs in the admin tool and can load firmware *.bins directly instead of using an installer. You can also load/save setups. Better than 'ye olden dayz.....

My only complaint was the notebook -GS cards utility tool, which would never properly work. Once I s***-canned it and started using Windows WZC all went well.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 May 2006, 23:48.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Now I'm really curious so I drove to all 4 corners of our city, checking the status of detected routers as I went. In ~30 sq. miles I found well over 100 unsecured Linksys, Netgear and other routers with broadband connections.
            I must be the unluckiest guy around... I don't have a broadband internet access (at home), but there are 3 wifi networks visible: all of them are secured.

At work, we have an unsecured wifi network. However, the only computer that can be reached as a VPN server. So, while anyone can access the network, when they can't log on to the VPN server, they can't access the internet nor the LAN.

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
            I guess the Linksys CD's have gotten better then, because the one I had only provided a way to set a WEP (and possibly WPA) key and the broadcast setting. Which I guess is good enough in most cases.
            Well, not quite... Try to use the CD to set up a local wifi network which doesn't have internet access... The CD won't continue unless it has a working internet.

Jörg
            Last edited by VJ; 2 May 2006, 02:04.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

There are a few unsecured networks in my street, no idea how many there are in Reading but I wouldn't be suprised it there are a few hundred.

A friend of a friend logs onto any unscecured networks he finds and leaves a text file saying, secure your bloody network.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Installed a matching Linksys card in the laptop, got it working in short order then was presented with at least 20 unsecured connections in addition to our secured router.

that's how I have DSL at home (4 "default" networks to choose from)

p.s.: i dont even have a phone line....

Comment

Most people these days have their cable company setup their wireless routers, and they do not setup security on them. Most people don't even know how to access the firmware of their routers, let alone setup and configure security. SO there you go. Just wiat until wireless-n become prevelant. Triple the range, 6x the speed ... a wardriver's dream.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So the Doc went wardriving eh? Isn't nice to see that there's free internet in the air? That's why I've been itching to get a laptop!
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

This last summer I was briefly unemployeed and had specifically NOT gotten net so I'd be productive on other things at home. However, needed to send out those resumes. So I ended up driving around with my laptop open just looking for open networks. Easily 80% of them were unsecure. The bigger problem was finding places you can park and use your laptop and not look... odd. Still it was a shock how many wireless networks have come into being these last few years, and how many of them were easily accessed.
                      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I think the manufacturers have actually worked hard at making it easy for people to secure their network. Most people just don't care or think it's too much of a hassle to have a password for anything.

My sister used to get Internet access that way because we had 56K, until we bought DSL and I went out and got a wireless router. I think there were 3 to choose from, which seems low, but I live in an area populated by engineers, so they are all pretty savvy I think.
                        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Well I've got a printer and wireless web cam neither of which support wpa. I don't find that very impressive to be honest.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I just installed a linksys WRT54G router + PCI nic this weekend, enabled wpa on the router, then installed the PCI card, only to find nowhere to enter anything other than WEP keys.. went with that opion
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                              I just installed a linksys WRT54G router + PCI nic this weekend, enabled wpa on the router, then installed the PCI card, only to find nowhere to enter anything other than WEP keys.. went with that opion

Mmm anything today you buy should have wpa built in.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X