Boosting Wireless performace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting Wireless performace?

I seem to have some wireless performance issues with my Netgear WGR 614v4 router. For Example, If I download a file off of Easynews on my Desktop, i can peg my download at anywhere from 300-600 KB/s, but on my past two laptops using a 802.11g connection, I'm lucky to get anything above 100KB/s. My laptop is telling me my connection signal is excellent to Very good and I'm at full speed (54 MBps), but even over my local network..speeds seem slow.

Any suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Are there other wireless networks in the area, using the same channel?
    (with Netstumbler - freeware - you can see the surrounding networks and the channels they use)

I had excellent signal strength, but suffered dropped connections quite frequently. Turns out the other 2 wifi networks were on the same channel.

If this doesn't help: what kind of wifi adapter are you using (usb/built-in/cardbus/...)? It could be that the adapter is on a bottleneck (usb1, pcmcia instead of cardbus, ...).
    What speed do you get if you connect the laptops to the router via a cable?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I checked out Netstumbler and had a couple other networks on the same channel as mine, changed it to 1 from 11, and still have really crappy performance. Am assuming its a cardbus interal Dell 802.11g card in my new laptop. I was having the same issues with my older laptop that had an Intel internal 802.11b&g card on the same network. Guess its time for new wireless router...

Comment

DO you get better performance on someone else's wireless ? Everything is running in G mode only ? no B devices around ? or cordless phones ?

Comment

Originally posted by degrub
          DO you get better performance on someone else's wireless ? Everything is running in G mode only ? no B devices around ? or cordless phones ?

I have a 5.8Mhz cordless phone near by...I even replaced that tonight along with a new Linksys WGR54G router. I'll try killing the power to the phone to see if that makes a difference

I'm looking at my signal strength and I got -26 in netstumber, and the other ones are about 3x times that.

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            I'm looking at my signal strength and I got -26 in netstumber, and the other ones are about 3x times that.
            That seems low to me...
            At work, I get -61 for our network, and I get a speed between 33 Mbps and 54 Mbps (depends on some circumstances).

Just for testing purposes: how close are you to the router?
            Does the router perhaps have a switch to flip between internal/external antenna? (if you have no external one, but the switch is set to external...)

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

I was about 5 foot away from it last night when I was testing it...It tells me I'm connecting at 54Mbps, but I'm getting horrible download speeds, even off my own network. I was getting a download speed of roughly 88kbps over wireless on Easynews.com and downloading the same file via my desktop at rougly 500kbps over copper. Thats with a new WRT54G router also. I even pulled the power on the cordless phone and that didnt have any effect on it.

What else could be affecting signal strength? I can't think of anything else and the only other wireless item in my house is wireless G adaptor for my Xbox360.

Comment

Wait, am I right... lower numbers are worse, not? (-28 is worse reception than -61, isn't it?)

I'm still blaming some internal bottleneck...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  Wait, am I right... lower numbers are worse, not? (-28 is worse reception than -61, isn't it?)

I'm still blaming some internal bottleneck...

Jörg

I'm not sure...I'll try my other laptop when I get home to see what it does on the new router.

Comment

Not wanting to highjack GT98's thread but realistically how fast should you be able to transfer over a 54Mbps connection.

I just tried transferring a few large files from my laptop to my network and it maxes out at around 600kb per second.

Comment

well, 2,25Mbyte per second is half of the theoretical max.....
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

On my DLINK 624+ I get about 1200+ KB/s and that's through one floor and 2 walls.

I believe I got around 1800 - 2000 KB/s when I put the laptop near the router.

PS: Oh and my older laptop that only does 802.11b gets roughly 600KB/s max
                        Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                        MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                        Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                        Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Hmm, perhaps GT98's card is running in 802.11b instead of 802.11g...

One more thing: are you copying many small files, or one large files? The windows copy system is terrible on many small files.

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Working...
                          X