No announcement yet.

NTL Cable Modem wireless connection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTL Cable Modem wireless connection...

Hi guys, got a bit of a problem.

Tried this once before, and kinda fell on my face. But trying it again now (with a friends connection).

Anyway, she's got NTL broadband, hence a cable connection.

Just wondering if it'll be better if she gets a cable wireless router and replace the current ntl broadband modem, or just get any wireless router and get that to act as the wireless gateway between the ntl broadband modem and the computers?

And how to set the latter one up, as I kinda fell on my face the last time I tried to sort out a wireless gateway (connecting from a seperate modem).

J1NG

Might as well just get the router, since the cable modem will have come free from ntl - will lower the overall price. If ntl up their speeds dramatically, they will have to replace the modem so best just to stick with that imho. I've had mine for 5 years and it runs well.

By far the best resource ever for cable and ntl in particular is this:

if you scroll down a bit and feel adventurous you'll see the settings for 'Doing Without the Broadband Installer' which is probably better unless you feel uncomfortable with the instuctions.

As for what router to get, I like these guys:

Beware of getting ADSL kit instead of a plain router. I really like the Linksys WRT54gs personally. The 's' isn't necessary unless you want slightly faster wireless, but it depends on your budget and you have to buy linksys 's' bits for your computers / laptops to match it.

Finally, set up EVERYTHING with wires, before you get the wireless working. Even when it's all going great, it's necessary to have the ability to connect a wire to the router just incase the wireless conks out (it will at some point, that's just what wireless does).

Best of luck, there is a lot of help out there on the net and here in the forums... especially that first link is great.

Comment

Stick with the NTL modem and get your preferred wireless router. No configuration is required to make it work with NTL, you just need a reboot to get the new mac registered.

I'm not even aware you can buy your own cable modem?

Edit: Whirl-Secret posted while I was typing. Its all good
      FT.

Comment

OK, anyone recommend a router and (preferably) a USB wireless adapter?

J1NG

Comment

Hi FT!

router - linksys wrt54g (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=463 - £46) OR the wrt54gs which is faster if you get the matching adapter (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=977 - £61)

I've come to the conclusion that a USB wireless adaptor for a desktop pc isn't as bad an idea as I once thought it was - you can position it better.

Certainly match the brand of your router:

or Linksys WUSB54GS (faster, http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2133 - £32) or the slightly slower version: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=806 - £28.

Remember with wireless... divide the speed by 5 or 6 for actual real-life speeds as opposed to the ones advertised. Maybe try to avoid dlink and netgear (unless they have improved in the last year), but buffalo stuff is good too.

Comment

Thanks Whirl-Secret.

J1NG

Comment

I have an NTL cable modem (two in fact ) and a Linksys WRT55AG router with a WET54G Bridge, almost no setup, pretty much just rebooting and everything works like a charm.

Comment

Netgear WGR614 is my preference.
                Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

OK, thanks all for the advice.

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                  X