No announcement yet.

When your F-22A'a canopy won't open....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your F-22A'a canopy won't open....

What do you do when the canopy on a new F-22A fighter jet doesn't open and the pilot is trapped inside for five hours?

Get out the chainsaws.

That's what maintenance technicians at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia did a couple weeks ago after calling Lockheed Martin Corp., the plane's manufacturer, to find out how to free the pilot.

The cost of a new canopy: $182,205.

"Since the American taxpayers have already spent billions of dollars on the F-22, our servicemen and women shouldn't need a chainsaw to get out of the aircraft," said Nick Schwellenbach , an investigator for the Project on Government Oversight, which posted pictures of the incident on its Web site.

An Air Force spokesman said the canopy problem was a first for the base's 25 F-22A's, planes originally designed to provide air supremacy in a war with the Soviet Union over Europe.

"Something like this is an anomaly . . . part of the growing pains" of a new weapons system, the spokesman told our colleague Charles Babcock. A Lockheed spokesman said a fix has been found and is being implemented.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Damn lucky it happened within safe circumstances, though, in the case of an ejection, that mechanism would likely not suffer from the failure. Not familiar with the ejection mechanism on the F-22's, so couldn't say with any authority.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

$182,000 for a fricken canopy???

Comment

...and who has to pay for it?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That's about right...remember that the F22 is a stealth aircraft, and the external mechanical tolerances on the canopy probably exceed that of critical internal components of a modern internal combustion engine.

Let's not forget the canopy is gold-plated - while this is nothing new, gold-plated canopies have been used in aircraft and spacecraft for quite a long time - even the latest F16's and Dassault Mirage fighter use them to reduce radar signatures. All of this does not come cheaply, however.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

I find it odd that the manufacturer couldn't open it either...

The difference in technology between these fighters and general aviation is so huge is becomes funny.
            On our Cessna's C150, there is a handle... Connected to this handle, you see an iron wire that goes to the outside of the plane. The wire is connected to the hinge-pin of the door. So, if you need to bail out fast, pull the handle, thus remove the hinge-pin and the door falls off...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Wow... high tech.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

FAR too many engineers forget the K.I.S.S. concept as soon as commencement is over

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Some pictures of the incident: http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/200..._this_man.html
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                  X