Regroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regroup

OK, the bad news is out now. However, now is the time to face reality. As a group, we need to keep moving forward with what is given to us... when and if it is given to us.

This is a fantastic forum with lots of experience. Lets keep it going! YUY2, RGB, MJPEG, Matrox, ATI, Hauppage, or whatever there is always a way to get the most out of a system. I see this group overcoming the current situation.

Move'em out!

So do I, as long as folks don't get too overwrought over the loss of MJPeg support.

In point of fact the market in general has been moving in that direction anyhow, regardless of chip & OS incompatabilities. Call these events "forced retirement"

MPEG and DV are where it's at. The best way to DV is a cheap OHCI card. The best way to MPEG is YUY2/HuffYUV, and the same system would do soft MJPeg easily (and already do).

If Matrox wanted to make ME real happy they'd come out with a single card with YUY2, RGB and DV on ONE board. Add drivers with YUY2, RGB, analog & digital DV capture and the option to select external compressions (HuffYUV, PICVIdeo etc.) for YUY2/RGB and you'd have a real one card solution.

With the new multimedia DV chips coming from all directions this kind of card WILL be made. The question is: will Matrox make one?

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 01 June 2001).]

Comment

YUY2 support is *not* provided for RR-G series cards. To join a thread on this specific topic, please see
      http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/006441.html

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

chm, you have posted that statement repeatedly in every topic about RRG latly and I think that We(anyone that read the forum) have gotten the picture now
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I apologize for any inconvenience. As I stated in that thread, I was attempting to create a thread to collect discussion and information relating to the RR-G lack of YUY2 support under Win2K. As a number of disparate threads had all started with a few RR-G comments here and there, I hoped to help avoid the RR-G information and issues from getting scrambled across a dozen different threads. If this was inappropriate use of this forum, I would appreciate the moderator to correct me as soon as possible. Thanks.

--Chris

Comment

By the way, it's not only the Rainbow Runner's that are SOL. The G200 Marvels have just become RGB only as well

Comment

Oh, and about this forum and regrouping, didn't it change from Matrox Video to Desktop Video because of lack of support from Matrox for drivers before? I'd say we've just been burned twice folks.

The last time I wasn't soooo upset because I was still using Win95 and the drivers at the time were okay, and I think the big delays were getting NT drivers ... I don't remember the details but it seems worse this time. I think it's because Win2k is more polific with home users than NT was and I finally decided to switch fully to Win2k about a month ago when Haig anounced new drivers - I don't even have 95 or 98 on my machine any more. Now I'm not sure if it's even worth installing the drivers or what

Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 02 June 2001).]

Comment

I agree with AndrewDV 100%, especially so we don't have to listen to too much more Matrox apologist stuff.

It's normal for people to feel betrayed when Matrox seemed to offer better support, to talk to you unlike most other graphics card manufacturers.

We also have to take into account that for a lot of folks, they owned what some consider a lower end solution because that was all they could afford -- that makes the prospect of having limited usability or having to purchase something else all that much more unappealing.

I also feel it's got to be expected for a lot of people to just want to vent, so this isn't just going to go away sometime soon -- just be thankful it's not degraded to the onslaught one can find surrounding other cards.

Venting myself just a bit, I feel it's appropriate to want hardware mpeg1 if it's hardware mpeg1 (not a TV card) that one's bought. Simple.

It's also appropriate to want a recent purchase to at least work with DX8 in win9x or ME. Both 98SE & ME were in wide use while these cards were sold, and DX8 was not a surprise.

I'm not ignoring all of you running win2k, & your legitimate complaints.

I will agree that DV is hot, but we're talking apples and oranges there when it comes to capture. Capturing DV from camcorder and recording video (as in movies etc) are 2 very different things. FWIW, if I remember correctly, at the advent of DV there were card makers who came out with combo cards that quickly died an overpriced death.

As for the future, MPEG4 is where the dollars are going, with the exception I think of various archiveing systems relying on MPEG2. MPEG2 is of course the archival format for DVD & digital cable/sat distribution, but I think any refinements there are mainly bringing pro capabilities down towards the masses, where right now that's a separate career.

Mpeg1 is needed, no matter how you get there, for editing across applications, though that is changing. If whatever comes out of this means that folks with the rr or marvel can capture somehow to mpg1 at the expected 704 X 480 frame size, without having to spring for 1 Ghz + machines, and at the approximate compression originally advertised, most of this will go away.

However, I did see something in the Matrox forums that we might be stuck with RGB only, & there is no gaurantee that anything will be released in the future, so this may not come about.

So, hopefully those with the cash and impatience will keep us abreast of their *other* brand purchases, & how well they work out. Hopefully the rest of us will quietly make whatever plans we can for whatever comes, be it looking at running XP, or BEOS, or Linux, keeping our fingers crossed that someone somewhere will come up with something.

Comment

Working...
                X