Advice on Cell phones Smartphone/PDAs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Cell phones Smartphone/PDAs

It's time to use my Intel Employee discounts and upgrade my old cell phone.
    I'm very tempted by the new Smart/PDA type phones.

For a non PDA type the "LG The V" looks interesting

For the PDA Types I can get a real good discount on the Blackberry 7130e and 7250.
    I can also get a decent discount on the Palm Treo 650 or 700w.

Anyone have any of these???
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

I personally like the Symbian OS devices. I have a Nokia 6260, which runs Symbian Series 60. But if you want even more PDA functions, you ought to check out the UIQ devices (Sony Ericsson has more of these).

Here is a list of the upcoming models:

(also check out the available models list)

For a specifications comparison, you can look here:
    Series60: http://my-symbian.com/s60/compare.php
    UIQ: http://my-symbian.com/uiq/compare.php

I have no personal experience with the Treo devices, but friends of mine are also quite pleased with them. It is one of the few small devices that have a useable keyboard.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have a Treo 650 as does Helevitia IIRC

The 700W is currently only available on Verizon.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I have Verizon and that's who I'll use my discount with.

How much is your monthly Bill for using all the features of the Treo???
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

If you have (and want to use) Verizon, your options are quite limited...if you want WiFi, the Treo 700W can be upgraded with it, but I like the 650 more because of the better screen and PalmOS.
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I have a Sprint PPC-6700. It's very nice, but make sure it have the newest software updates on it if you get it. The new version of the software adds some great features. The Treo 650 is nice if you prefer a Palm OS, but I think that may be the last Palm OS smartphone.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'd go for the 700W. I currently have an Audiovox SMT5600, which runs Smartphone 2003SE. While an awesome phone, I'd like the added features of Mobile 5.0, and PocketPC instead of Smartphone edition (touchscreen, office apps). I'd also appreciate a full QWERTY keyboard instead of a regular phone keypad.

The 700W has both of those. You won't regret it, trust me!!
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                I'd go for the 700W. I currently have an Audiovox SMT5600, which runs Smartphone 2003SE. While an awesome phone, I'd like the added features of Mobile 5.0, and PocketPC instead of Smartphone edition (touchscreen, office apps). I'd also appreciate a full QWERTY keyboard instead of a regular phone keypad.

The 700W has both of those. You won't regret it, trust me!!
                the PPC-6700 IS a Windows Mobile 5.0 device. IE, Windows Media, CDMA/EVDO data available, and all the bells and whistle. I like the larger slide out keyboard the 6700 has versus the tiny thumbboard the Treo line has. The 6700 also sport a miniSD slot (I got a 1 GB card last week for $40 off NewEgg.com) and a larger screen than the 700W. Base usable RAM is ~64 MB, don't know what the 700w has.

Comment

The PPC-6700 looks just like Verizon's UTStarcom XV6700

PPC-6700

XV6700

The Samsung SCH-i730 seems to get higher ratings than Palm, or other PDA/Phones.

Samsung SCH-i730
                  Last edited by ALBPM; 21 April 2006, 11:01.

Comment

I do have the 650 as Taz pointed out. I've had more problems with it than I thought I would. I love having internet access and a good calendar program, which the 650 offers. Also, I left my phone outsid efor 24 hours in the rain and it was still on and working when I found it. Definitely buy some kind of exterior protection for it if you get it.
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

PPC-6700

XV6700

The Samsung SCH-i730 seems to get higher ratings than Palm, or other PDA/Phones.

Samsung SCH-i730
                      Yes, UTStarcom makes phones for several carried, but I work for SPrint so I'm oblidged to pimp them now and then. I need those stocks to go up, right

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM
                        They're both made by HTC, as are pretty much all the current smartphones including the Treo's

How much is your monthly Bill for using all the features of the Treo?
                        I could tell you but as I'm in the UK and the tarrifs are calculated differently than in the US it probably wouldn't be that helpful
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                          the PPC-6700 IS a Windows Mobile 5.0 device. IE, Windows Media, CDMA/EVDO data available, and all the bells and whistle. I like the larger slide out keyboard the 6700 has versus the tiny thumbboard the Treo line has. The 6700 also sport a miniSD slot (I got a 1 GB card last week for $40 off NewEgg.com) and a larger screen than the 700W. Base usable RAM is ~64 MB, don't know what the 700w has.
                          Ah, yes. I was thinking of the PPC6600, which is Mobile 2003 and has a little thumboard. Given the choice, I'd take the 6700 over the 700w too.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Well, got a reset today. Went to the big Verizon Store here and they couldn't do shit....LOL!!!!

We wanted to change the account to my name instead of the wife's to get my full discount and they can't do that at the store.....

So, I call the customer support # and do that from home. Also, upgraded the minutes and can now use our phones Nation wide.

But.... Can't upgrade our phones till July....

So, we sat down and discussed what we would want the PDAs for and it just didn't make sense to get the PDA phones and have to pay a lot more for the extra minutes we would need and the Data package for the email and such.

I would be tempted to use mine for work and that would be sooo WRONG!!!
                            If they want me to use one, my Employer can pick up the Tab...

So, I just ordered two Dell Axims (624MHz, an extra 1 GB mem card for both)

Between the two we'll have an extra battery, The BlueTooth GPS System and the mobile cables to use in the car on trips.

Comment

Cool! I am torn between that Dell Axim and the iPAQ 6915 which should be out in a month. I always found the Axim fugly. How is the build quality

The Axim is £325 here. Just waiting to see if it will drop....
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X