No announcement yet.

Notebook HDD 2.5 inch adaptor cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notebook HDD 2.5 inch adaptor cable...

I am going to be purchasing a 20-40GB HDD to replace the 6GB HDD that I currently have in my laptop. I would like to do a direct clone copy of the original drive to the new one I purchase in the near future. I was hoping to do this on my main PC since the laptop only has one ATA connection on it.

Anyhow, I presume I will need a cable to allow me to connect the original notebook drive to the PC to image it and then to restore the image on the new notebook drive.

I can't seem to find (online) any store that sells such a cable. I guess while I'm at it I would also need an adaptor to power the notebook drives as well. So if anyone has any suggestions as to a store that specializes in such adaptors/cables I would be VERY grateful.

Ideally I would like a cable that lets me hook up 2 2.5" notebook drives to the PC so I can do the clone in one fell swoop w/o having to image the drive first, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions / recommendations.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Should be able to buy the adaptor fairly cheap (presume it's IDE?) - search for "adaptor" rather than "cable" at your preferred online supplier. Alternatively, a solution that might be useful for more than this one job would be an external USB 2.5" HDD casing - should be able to find those online as well.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I use both IDE adapters and external 2.5" HDD drive enclosures that hook up via USB.

Either solution would work.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I've used adapters like the below item tons of times. They work great.

This is a good toolbox item

It does both kinds of drives through usb. If you are doing a laptop drive the usb cable provides the power needed.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Thanks Claymonkey, much appreciated!

@GNEP
          I never thought of looking for an adaptor. I kept looking for converters, and was not having much luck. Thanks for the pointer.

Might not be a bad idea to get an external 2.5" HDD enclosure to make some use of the old 6GB drive. I'm going to go the adapter route for now, as it is probably the fastest (transfer speed wise).

Thanks again guys for your quick replies. Now, I just gotta figure out which drive to buy....
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Before you buy, check to make sure that the bios of the laptops supports drives over 32 GB!

My PentiumII didn't, I had to set a capacity limitor jumper on the drive, effectively limiting the 40 GB drive to 32 GB. Dunno what happens if the hdd has no capacity limitor though...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Thanks for the warning! I'll definately have to look into it. The laptop is an old Dell Inspiron 7500 with an Intel PIII-500/600Mhz CPU. I have the latest BIOS available from Dell installed, but I'll have to post or search their forums for a limit if any in the BIOS.
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:

Mini:

Server:

Comment

In my case, it was a Shuttle BX mainboard with a PII-450.
                Here is a reference to the issue:

(it only seems to mention the issue for Award biosses though)

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

usbgeek have a nice adaptor that does 2.5" drives and 3.5" drives.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X