Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFI and Pentium D compatibility...

Hi ALL.

I have had a DFI LanParty 915P-T12 for a few months now, with a Celeron D 351J (3.2GHz/533FSB) working just fine.
    This CPU does not appear on DFI's supported CPU list at all, but it works.

I just bought a Pentium D 805, thinking it would just drop in. Bollocks.
    I checked out DFI's site, and they say that the only board compatible with Pentium D CPU's is a Intel 945 Chipset...

Does anyone have any idea whether its a compatibility issue, or what?

The PSU is 24-pin, so is the socket it plugs into.
    There is one 36Gb Raptor and a video card and generic DVD-rom.
    Not exactly overloaded.

There IS an option in the BIOS to set the CPU-ID for compatibility (but recommended to be set to disabled for XP). gonna give that a try right now.
    Its just a bitch to get the ThermalRight XP-120 on and off. The NB Radiator gets in the way, and i've bent sodloads of fins, but what the heck, when its up and running i'll replace it with a new one...

Anyone have a DFI LanParty 915P-T12?
    if so, what CPU do you use, and do you overclock it (just for current draw issues)?

HELP.

cheers,

Jez
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

I am pretty sure you need the 945 chipset, or better for dual core
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Bugger.
      Just gonna give it a go by setting as much in the BIOS to relate to the 805:
      Fixed 533 Boot strap
      Voltage at 1.3V
      etc...the CelD runs at 1.4V standard, which is the highest Vcore for the 805.

I think the standard Vcore is 1.25V so 1.3 shouldn't be too much of a problem...

Just found this:
      quote "
      A problem with compatibility between Intel Pentium D “Smithfield” processors and Intel 915- and 925-series core-logic sets-based mainboards was a slightly different pin-out of the Pentium D compared to the Pentium 4 processors.
      "
      from http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...221154414.html

Hmm, feck.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Thats how Intel makes sure to force you to upgrade your board, and thereby sell more chipsets.

Comment

bastards, i've only had it like 6 months...if the CPU's are incompatible, they should have gone the whole hog and changed socket again, shooting themselves in the foot in the process, instead of allowing incompatible CPU's to be placed in mobos...

how much is a very cheap 945...i wonder...and DDR2 memory.

Looks like the CPU is going to be sold.

Comment

Nope. PC Switces on, but no beep nothing.

OK, so CPU goes on my 'For Sale' list for the guys at work tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
              Thats how Intel makes sure to force you to upgrade your board, and thereby sell more chipsets.
              I doubt it. After helping design Intel CPUs - if there's a pinout change, it's necessary because old hardware couldn't handle the new stuff.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm happy with that, but why leave it physically compatible then?
                It may be good for backwards compatibility, but not for those with relatively new chipsets.

Comment

Working...
                X