data conversions aka ETL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• data conversions aka ETL

This weekend I had to do some rather complex data conversions. The thought of programming them up in Java (or shudder Access + vba) turned me right off.

I found this little gem from wikpedia actually, recomend it for all sorts of data conversions, not just db stuff, but it can work with text files as well

It seriously saved my sanity this weekend.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Oooh - thanks Dan - this looks interesting... now, can I install it at work is the next question...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

its java, so should be fine, if not, I can give you a link to a webstart version.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

We are using it in our databases courses. The students got an assignment where they get an operational database (in an Intersystems Caché database; actually they get 3 different snapshots over time), and they have to create a datawarehouse in Oracle (given some requirements).
        My colleague made the project-assignment, I just help with guiding in the PC room. But the Kettle tools is very nice!

We also use sqldeveloper: http://sqldeveloper.sourceforge.net/ , to allows students to browse the database. It is a relatively simple tool, but as we are very limited in the size of the software we want on the computers in the PC room, it is very handy. Runs in java.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X