Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinXP Slow Workgroup Browsing Solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP Slow Workgroup Browsing Solutions?

I have a small ad-hoc WinXP/2k3 network with eight computers. When I initially setup the network, browsing was lightning quick. Now it is painfully slow. Putting the direct path (\\host\ or \\ip\) to any of the clients is still super fast, as are transfers. This is the typical NetBIOS over TCP\IP network...
    Last edited by isochar; 15 April 2006, 14:28.

Can you check your event viewer, had the same problems some weeks ago Ms has a hotfix for it but need to know if it's the same problem.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I have this error on all PCs:
      Code:
      The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: 
      This operation returned because the timeout period expired. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
      Coincidentally they have the Windows Firewall disabled, could it be this problem? (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=889320&SD=tech)
      Last edited by isochar; 16 April 2006, 05:38.

Comment

the last pc to logon to the network becomes the network share master with all share records.
        fire up one pc a time, check speed and browsing, next pc, repeat until you find the pc that is borking the system
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yep had the same bug Isochar I could send you the hotfix if you want. It worked for me.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

That Hotfix from Microsoft did the trick... everything's speedy again.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
              Yep had the same bug Isochar I could send you the hotfix if you want. It worked for me.
              Could you post the number of the hotfix?
              I would like to read what MS has to say on their site about it.
              (or is it the one isochar posted?)

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It's the same.

Comment

Working...
                X