Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This has been the longest five days of my life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been the longest five days of my life.

I've been a member of the MURC forum for eight years, at least, since I got my original Marvel G200. I realize that in the past I've been somewhat reticent about posting any personal information beyond the basics. It's a family trait. My family just isn't very open about most things, probably because we figure most folks just aren't that interested. That, and we're generally quite shy by nature.

However, over the years I've grown comfortable among you all, relishing the broad spectrum of humanity you all represent and enjoying the many discussions that go on here, even If I participate only sporadically. We are a community and in many ways I'm closer to you all than I am to most of the people who live on my street (and that in itself, perhaps, is a sad commentary on our times). Even so, it's with more than a little reluctance and a heavy heart that I must report that I buried my elder son today.

Tony was just a few months shy of his 25th birthday when I found him in his bedroom on Saturday evening. I'd grown concerned because he hadn't yet emerged to get ready for his job on the night shift at the local newspaper. I had to force my way into his bedroom and I'll spare you all the sordid details. Suffice it to say it was an appallingly sad, stupid accident. The police were on the scene within minutes and the first thing they did was get on the radio to cancel the ambulance. They and I didn't need a doctor to tell that he'd already been dead for hours. All the time we thought he was sleeping normally, he was just waiting for us to find him.

The funeral was today and it was small but heartfelt, and as heart-wrenching as you can imagine. No parent should ever have to bury a child. Those who have (like a close friend of mine did 11 years ago) know the pain and those who haven't, I pray, never will.

I'm not tossing this out there for sympathy, as I've received more sympathy from friends and loved ones in the past few days than a person can handle. I'm saying this to remind you all to never take your life, or the lives of those you love, for granted. It's too short and too precious. You never know when it will be ripped away. And you never recover from the loss. I know Christine, younger son Lucas, and I never will.

Happy Easter, all.

Kevin

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

When I was 22 I burried my father.
      the funeral too was small and peacful.
      The people who got me through it, were the ones that knew how I felt, the ones that stood back and just nodded.

nod
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

like SpiralDragon once said, we are an online family.

Behind you every step of the way, Kevin.
        My condolences

Comment

You really are a good writer, Kevin.. you made me live that moment with you. There aren't words to describe what I felt as I read, but in a small way I could feel your grief. We've all lost loved ones, but losing a child has to be the deepest sadness one can feel. Our love and prayers go out to you and your family.

Comment

Condolences, and thank you for sharing that with us.

George
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Tears for your son, and for you.

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Parents aren't supposed to bury their children....

Our prayers and condolences go out to you and yours Kevin.

Terry, Margie & family
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

What the people above me said.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Words fail me. Tears dont.
                      FT.

Comment

... ...

J1ng

Comment

My condolences to you and yours.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

My condolences
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Deepest condoleances, life can give and take so easily...
                              All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Working...
                              X