No announcement yet.

24-port copper switch recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24-port copper switch recommendations?

Hi guys,
    Looking for 100Mb or 1Gb ethernet switch, 24 ports. New or used. Any model recommendations, or stores?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I have had good luck with the Dell 2624 24 Port Gigabit switches.
    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I've used D-Link at my current job and they were used at the school I had volunteered at. No problems with the DSS24+ using the add-on fiberoptic modules.

DES-1024D
      DSS-24+

Comment

If you're looking for an unmanaged workgroup switch, then go for D-Link or Linksys. If they're for something more serious, stick with Cisco.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

You may want to check if it supports jumbo frames too.. could be standard now, but it did not use to be the case.
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I haven't had any trouble with Netgear Switches, but make sure you dont get the "Home" versions. They currently don't support Jumbo Frames...

EDIT:Then again, there aren't that many 24-Port "Home" Switches ..

Jez
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

yamaha - doh can't buy what i can buy over there, compared to what i can buy here
              *me pats $1300 vpn router at home that makes work so much easier
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

What kind of features are you looking for? Do you want vlans? unmanaged? managed? QoS? other features? Is it important that you don't bottleneck the backplane if all ports are sending data at line rate? Anything else?
                Last edited by Helevitia; 14 April 2006, 12:18.
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Managed: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

Unmanaged: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                    yamaha - doh can't buy what i can buy over there, compared to what i can buy here
                    *me pats $1300 vpn router at home that makes work so much easier
                    grumble, grumble... you and you 100 Mb internet access. Stupid greedy american telcos.

Dell switches will work fine for home up to small/medium businesses. The web managed ones are not that expensive, you can frequently find them on sale, and have a full sized baxkplane (last I checked).

Beyond that I would use Linksys or NetGear. and shy away from D-link. Never have liked their network products, but have never used one of their big switches.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                      If you're looking for an unmanaged workgroup switch, then go for D-Link or Linksys. If they're for something more serious, stick with Cisco.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
                      http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

hehe, I didn't read the whole thread, you posted the same switches I did

Comment

Working...
                      X