Matrox Graphics enters IP licensing business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Graphics enters IP licensing business

Montreal, Canada, April 4th, 2006 — Matrox Graphics, Inc., the leading manufacturer of graphics solutions for professionals, today announced that the company has expanded its business by making certain graphics cores available for third party licensing. Matrox has been designing graphics devices for almost thirty years and has a large portfolio of market-proven graphics technologies including enterprise-class 2D, 3D and video accelerators...
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/special_si..._licensing.cfm

Uhmmm...but who would want to license them?
    (I can see only one advantage of one of Matrox GPU lines: G-series has excellent open source drivers, so Richard Stallman/FSF will start a company producing them/derivatives of them at much lower price )

Comment

How many G400 cores in SLI would it take to compete today? :P
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Freedom is much more important!

Comment

maybe they can jam on two different cores on the same board, and you could switch between them or something
          (maybe a Sapphire card with a X1900XT & Parhelia?)
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Dident Gigabyte offer some sort of G400 that only worked with their mobo?
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Somehow I don;t think this is aimed at high-end solutions 3D performance wise in any way. Might be providing best gfx for computer-on-chip appliances etc. He, imagine that, a mobile phone powered by a G400MAX.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

well, my first thoughts are always 3d performance/gaming /me crosses fingers

I still want surround gaming dammit!!
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                  well, my first thoughts are always 3d performance/gaming /me crosses fingers

I still want surround gaming dammit!!
                  You don't necessarily need Parhelia anymore, for Surround Gaming. Now you can have Surround Gaming with the Matrox TripleHead2Go, too..

Comment

Originally posted by Mikko
                    You don't necessarily need Parhelia anymore, for Surround Gaming. Now you can have Surround Gaming with the Matrox TripleHead2Go, too..
                    yup someother can integrate the matroxs triplehead to go into into a decent 3d card.

Comment

Wow

This is the only way for Matrox to catch the rivals (Ati & Nvidia)

Comment

(we're still waiting for mentioning the rivals)

Comment

Interesting...
                          If they could get contracts for:
                          Office PC's...
                          HTPC's...
                          laptops...
                          Let's face it, I've seen the TV-out feature on most laptops and it leaves a lot to be desired for (we have a number of laptops here: IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Fujitsu... and none of them even comes close to my Parhelia or G450 when it comes to image quality on a TV out or even user friendlyness).

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                          X