Clouds of Venus could harbour life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clouds of Venus could harbour life

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Apparently clouds on Venus have quite life friendly conditions at higher altitudes. Also:
    Recent spectrographic observations have found carbonyl sulfide in the atmosphere of Venus, a chemical that is very difficult to make via natural processes and is usually associated with life.
    Upcoming decades might be very interesting to science...how many possible candidates for life we haev now? Europa, Mars, Enceladus, Venus...and only in our system. I wonder how the discovery would influnce some religions (hey, this forum is also for religions after all! ) (not much, I guess - only contact with intelligent beeings would shatter some views...)

and which religious/political group would this offend
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Most that aren't viewed as sects today, I guess.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
        and which religious/political group would this offend
        LOL, I think he's just tring to increase his post count.

Edit:
        Originally posted by Nowhere
        Yeah, and what are you doing here?

(anyway, I'd post this even without noting one of consequences)
        Replying to gt40's post. I thought it was obvious enough.
        Last edited by ZokesPro; 11 April 2006, 09:39.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yeah, and what are you doing here?

(anyway, I'd post this even without noting one of consequences)

Comment

Crap, this wasn't suppose to end up in this forum (I thought I was posting in scientific, and in just barely looked at the name of forum to ntice the ending, so comment regarding religion at the end).

Can somebody move this?

PS. Anyway, we can now also talk about possible policies (in the sense: politicall guidelines) we should have in case of contact with extraterrestrials.

Comment

I wonder how the discovery would influnce some religions (hey, this forum is also for religions after all! ) (not much, I guess - only contact with intelligent beeings would shatter some views...)
              I don't know if it would influence the major religions much. Most of them don't mention life on other planets, but they don't explicitly rule it out either.
              IMO, for most religions one could say: if god created life here, why couln't he/she () have tried it elsewhere?

However, I think it might influence political decission. If even the simplest form of life is discovered in our solar system, I think the search for other intelligent life outside of it will be increased. Perhaps new weapons will be developed as well, as some countries might perceive it as a real threat .

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2843
                I wonder how the discovery would influnce some religions (hey, this forum is also for religions after all! ) (not much, I guess - only contact with intelligent beeings would shatter some views...)
                Wouldn't change any of my views. I fully expect there to be habitable planets and moons out there. I may never see them in my lifetime, but I wouldn't be so presumptuous to think that Earth is the only place that has or can harbor life. In fact, I find the idea rather silly that God, or a god, would only make one place for his/her people to abide.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                  ...if god created life here, why couln't he/she...
                  off topic: I thought God was asexual.

Comment

Working...
                  X