LCD monitors, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD monitors, again

Okay, now that I have a job I can upgrade my 17" CRT finally. At work I have a Dell 19" LCD. When I work at home there nearly isn't enough space to do programming. See a lot fewer lines of code and can't have the useful tools on the same window, etc.

Assuming I don't screw up and lose my job I plan on buying a 20.1" LCD. Should I just wait for one of those Dell monitor deals that seem to happen frequently or is there another brand I should check out prices for? I read on here that you guys like EIZO for color quality but I don't need anything that fancy. I also don't play games that much anymore.

I could afford top of the line, but I'd rather save money to pay off school loans and buy a few other things I've had my eye on for a while.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I have two of those 20" Dells (and one 19" Samsung in portrait mode) on my home machine and I love them.

I recommend that you wait for the Dells to go on sale.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I just found out that Costco has ViewSonic 20" WS for $350 after a coupon.

Advantage of that is that I can just go pick it up locally.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I don't know how it is in the US, but here, Dell isn't cheaper than other brands when you shop around a bit (and this even though they have a 20% discount on displays ATM). Other brands you could check out are Fujitsu-Siemens, Samsung, Viewsonic, NEC-Mitsubishi (expensive)...

Have a look at http://www.prad.de/en/index.html and their forums.

Or lay a thousand bucks on the table and get a 24" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 244T and swivel it into portrait mode - you've never seen that many lines of code all at once
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Dell, NEC/Mitsu, Samsung gets my vote

With samsung in particular, not sure about the others, there are a LOT of models out there, so just make sure you read specs carefully

The only thing you will ever regret is that you didn't get a BIGGER one, if you go 19" you will wish you got 20.1", if you get 20.1" you will wish you got a 24" - my advice: get lay down the $1k like az suggested (maybe wait to do it on a Dell though, although I am sure the samsung is decent too)
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

The Samsung not only has higher image quality than the current Dell ones (esp. re backlight bleeding), but faster response time, HDCP (!), and a great price. And you can get it in silver. And it has a pivot function. And it isn't from Dell.

Comment

im gonna recommend this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001210 Samsung 214T 21.3" 1600x1200 $621.49 USD

the 24" are around double the price
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Looks like the Dell is on sale again: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=20053YR

Comment

Don't waste your money on the Eizo... pay off you rloans instead.
                  For 2MP, Samsung has by far the nicest glass in 21", but its sounding like you want 2MP Wide.

I haven't been impressed at all with Dell monitors.

Comment

I think a widescreen is exactly not what TnT wants (since he wants to fit more lines of code on the screen, 1680x1050 isn't much better than 1280x1024), except if it has a pivot function. Oh, ok, the Dell has that

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                      Don't waste your money on the Eizo... pay off you rloans instead.
                      For 2MP, Samsung has by far the nicest glass in 21", but its sounding like you want 2MP Wide.

I haven't been impressed at all with Dell monitors.
                      Ok so, let's agree to disagree about the Dell monitors.

This model in particular is probably no good for serious gaming. But it's awesome for text. It's very sharp and I've not seen any ghosting or colour bleeding.

As far as suitability for programming goes, I really like the width of the screens. I don't need to see vertical lines so much as I need to be able to see the code on one line without scrolling horizontally.

Comment

See I enjoy my dell 2005fpw FAR more than I did my samsung lcd. The colors on the samsung were SO much colder and overtly bright at the same time. There is a point where bright just isn't good. That and the Dell isn't exactly dull in vibrance, and the colors are much more true to life.
                        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Concur with the monkey on this one. Love my Dell (same model as his). Oddly enough, the various widescreen Dell models are generally the same, internally and in screen (save for the backlighting used and a few other things), as the Apple Cinema displays everyone tends to drool over. They're just a couple or more hundred cheaper.
                          Last edited by Jessterw; 10 April 2006, 08:08.
                          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Speak of the devil: The 2005 is on sale for $363 shipped.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

*twitch* must resist urge for a second one*twitch*
                              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X