Basic HTML question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic HTML question

I have had problems with port forwarding on my router. I have been somewhat limited in its application in that the DNS entry for my website points to a specific IP address. I was having problems in that the modem was taking the specific IP and not the router.

I have decided to modify the DNS entry for the domain so that it points to a page provided by my ISP. I think this is common practice.

I plan to then have the generic front page to the site hosted remotley with all links pointing back to me with whatever IP i end up with. I have tested this by pointing www.bushe.co.uk to google and it seems to be working fine.

My questions are as follows:

1) It would be nice to have thewww.bushe.co.uk prefix rather than randomisp/user/whaterver. I think this will be done automatically - brose to www.bushe.co.uk and see. But I dont know what will happen when i then link to an IP...

2) It would be nice to have some sort of script that checks to see if the server is online and if not sends you to another page that I can use for a quick explantion of downtime.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I think this is more of an HTTP question than about HTML - thus I can't help you
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

1. Not sure on 1, one way I know it would work would be to put the whole site inside a frame, you would always have www.bushe.co.uk in the url that way, www.bushe.co.uk/links.htm would never appear though.

2. Rather then checking to see if the server is online I think the best way would be to set custom error pages, you can set these per error code, 404, 500 etc.

Comment

does your bushe.co.uk-Server support PHP? If yes, it's quite easy to check the status of
        a server. Here's a short snippet:

PHP Code:
        // $site is the ip address of your server

$check = @fsockopen($site80);

if (
        $check) {
           @
        fclose($check);
           echo 
        "site is available";
          exit;
        } else {
          echo 
        "site is not available";

To have bushe.co.uk as address in the browser i would go with dbdg's suggestion and use a frame for that.

R.
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Paddy

To clarify point 1, you have to choose to use a frame when setting up the url with your domain provider - they actually provide the frame code and your stuff appears inside that.

I have had permissions issues using that though. Take my www.personalitystrengths.com - I ended up not using the domain providers frame (hence you see wads.le.ac.uk/pc/ppp/index.html) because cookies were sometimes being rejected as 3rd-party but that is then a frame so the address doesn't change as people navigate the site.

T.
          FT.

Comment

R.
            Thanks for the code. Without wanting to sound like a total muppet, what do i do with it?

FT/dbdg
            Cheers. I'll cross that bridge when i get to it.
            I'll try and get the site functional and worry about aesthetics later.
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
            X