Nice interactive CPU comparison chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice interactive CPU comparison chart

Very cool. I only wish they would add more games. But it is amazing to see that I can speed up my multitasking from 12:37 to 4:56 by going from my current CPU(3500+) to a X2 4800+.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

It's sad that a computer I bought almost two years ago is still considered a relatively good performer.

Where's the 10GHz 8-way monster machine I've been dreaming of?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

May I make you happier?

edit: crap, forgot I removed the info from sig...oh well, everybody remembers it I guess
      Last edited by Nowhere; 6 April 2006, 19:20.

Comment

Your sig is a mess anyway
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Amazing how AMD are much faster than Intel in games, yet much slower in anything else..

for the record, did a comparison between:
          AMD Athlon 3200 (venice core) and Intel Pentium D 840Smithfield 3200
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

But...aren't games the only thing that really matters today? The only thing which really needs more power? Yes, there's also compression of data (zip/rar), but in this case people usually handle small files. And also video compression...and here you have to wait a bit anyway, on both P4 and Athlon.

I think there should be some comparision chart that'll give you performance per price, that would give some insight.

Comment

off topic
              Huh, Tom's hardware changed layout ?

Comment

BTW az, I'd like to point out that my sig is not only very informative (what would you do without knowing what I was listening to, having acces to my music profile or making sure that currently earth isn't destroyed?), but also highly philosophical (since "Evil Penis" doesn't require introduction, I'll explain the thing that looks like logo of Solidarity; literally translated it's: "i" = "and", "chuj" = "dick", but it's meaning could be compared to saying (calmly - that's important for the effect) "shit" or "fvck" when something, well...shitty happens; which sums up things here really tightly)
                Last edited by Nowhere; 9 April 2006, 16:12.

Comment

Even though I'm an intel fanboy, I think I'll have to agree with Nowhere that it really is the games that matter more (at least for me). If an encode for example takes 12 minutes instead of 8 minutes, its not really that big of a deal, but if it means being able to play a game at 1280 instead of 1024, or at 60fps vs. 40 fps, well that is a significant difference. Being a bit slower, for the average user anyways, in things other than gaming doesnt affect your experience nearly as much as being slower in games does. I think that makes sense...
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I have an Athlon XP 3200+ at work and a P4 3.2GHz at home. At work I have 1.5GB RAM and at home I have 2GB RAM. My work PC is 100% SCSI while my home PC uses SATA Raptor HDs and IDE optical drives. My work PC has a Matrox AGP card running two screens and a Matrox PCI card running 1 screen. My home PC has an ATI AGP card running 1 screen and a Matrox PCI card running 2 screens.

Both computers have a similarly configured installation of XP Pro.

I have to say that my work PC is faster, noticeably faster, at anything work related. I do a lot of multitasking. A LOT of multitasking. At gaming, as if I had time for gaming, my home PC is faster, but I'd rather play games on my 57" HDTV so I don't really care.

I'm looking forward to getting new PCs for work and home. Hopefully sooner than later. But not until I can get PCs that are at least 2-4x faster than what I have now. Given that so much of my work involves multitasking, it might just be possible for me to realise my dream later this year.

When that day comes I'll auction off my Parhelia AGP card to the highest bidder (all proceeds to MURC).

Comment

What bothers me, looking at those cpu charts, in particular the gaming ones, is that we have not seen a faster gaming cpu since ~July? of 2005 when the FX-57 came out. Somewhere around 9 months!
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

schmosef, perhaps feels faster mostly thanks to HT? (how does it feel when you disable it?)

Anyway, do you still feel sad about relativelly good performance of your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                          schmosef, perhaps feels faster mostly thanks to HT? (how does it feel when you disable it?)

Anyway, do you still feel sad about relativelly good performance of your computer?
                          My home PC has HT and it's slower than my work PC. Maybe that wasn't clear.

Comment

Nah, it was, I got confused. So Athlon is generally snappier, even when not accesing disks (SCSI might give benefit after all...), and even when taking into account HT?...no wonder I'm still good with XP1700+

Comment

Working...
                            X