Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 price revealed? (I wonder what Gurm will say about it :p )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 price revealed? (I wonder what Gurm will say about it :p )

A Sony VP has revealed the European pricing for the PlayStation 3. Coming it …

According to Vice President of SCEE (Sony Computer Entartainment Europe) it will be between 499 and 599€, which of course means between 499 and 599$. (nevermind that these conversion values, while weird, are typical)

PS. Adding to the equation that in PL this price will be more like between 600 and 700€...I think this round will belong, locally, either to Xbox or Revolution...

Well it is a Blu ray player as well...but still that seems quite extreme for a console, not exactly priced as a "childs toy"

Comment

I'll tell you guys all about it. You can play it vicariously through me.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Don't worry, in a couple months there will be a hack for it to allow ripping and playing of BluRay DVDs on Linux without stupid HDCP. With the processing power of the Cell, it won't be too hard for it to crack the encryption. It'll be worth the money then.

Comment

schmo, die

PS. rylan, what processing power has to do with cracking encryption? AFAIk nobody cracked algorithms used in PGP. Not even those used in SACD...
          And BTW, that's another reason why I think PS3 won't be popular here...

Comment

Well I think initially it may be able to do the 'brute force' approach to crack some encryption algorithms. That is, if the released version doesn't have the Cell processor crippled some. Yeah, probably those who want to convert it to a linux box or something would just stick to the X-Box since thats easier and cheaper to deal with. I'm sure it'll be a hit with the more exotic hackers, but thats a small number of people.

Comment

Personally I doubt the encryption will be broken...more probable is, perhaps, using Bluray player from some rogue manufacturer, who allows outputting digital stream unencoded. Or perhaps electrically/electronically tapping into player/TV board to intercept the decoded signal in digital form.
              And then encoding this with H.364 or Dirac and posting on Piratebay

Comment

Working...
              X