MS at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS at it again...

ZDNET news and advice keep professionals prepared to embrace innovation and ready to build a better future.

ZDnet UK is reporting that Microsoft sent out a memo telling UK PC makers to stop selling 'naked PCs' (i.e. PCs without any OS pre-installed, just a blank HDD). MS claims that "[Selling a naked PC] is a risk to your customers and a risk to your [OEMs] business," because it's harder to sell other pre-packages applications and services if no OS is installed. The memo came from MSs lead of anti-piracy, giving it an undertone of "people who buy naked PCs pirate MS OSs" - one of those read-between-the-line things when you look at the top 4 reasons people request naked PCs from the second link - virtually ignoring Linux users completely.

Linux lovers in Europe are, of course, up in arms and laughing at MS.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Isn't this what MS has been saying for years? How is this new?
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

They said naked PC's, they don't care if the anyone sells them with Linux on, just not completely blank.

A percentage of the people that buy naked PC's will pirate Windows, so they have a right to say this.

Comment

They have a right to say it, but they don't have a right to enforce it.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          They have a right to say it, but they don't have a right to enforce it.
          All true, but it's still a sly business move.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There's a simple solution, give away a liveCD linux distro with every system. See how much Microshaft likes that instead

Comment

ROFL, that'll be nice

If you put Linux on the drive you can imagine that whomever wants/has a windows CD will format/partition the drive again and install it. It's just a waste of time and resources for the shop.

Comment

Hell, they just have to put a copy of freedos on the drive. It's technically not "naked" anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X