No announcement yet.

Loss of conectivity to modem/router...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of conectivity to modem/router...

I started experiencing this problem about 2 days ago. My computer was successfully connected to the internet, I shut down for 20 minutes, then, when I turned my computer back on, it would not connect to the internet (I don't mean that IE won't open webpages for example, I mean, MSN won't connect, AIM won't connect, my Torrents won't download etc.)

Also, I cannot connect to my router by typing http://192.168.0.1 into the web address of my browser like I should be able to.

I know it is not the router that is the problem or my internet source, why? Because the internet works through my laptop (wireless) and Xbox (ethernet cable).

I have tried using an ethernet cable to connect my computer to the router but it didn't work, usually I connect through a wireless USB adapter. If I watch the "Wireless" icon in my taskbar (it goes red when there is no connection, green if there is), it flickers red frequently after I first start up, but soon after, it stays green for long periods of time. Yet, no connection to the internet and no apparent connection to the router (i.e. http://192.168.0.1 will not work).

I don't know what is wrong, I have tried all the obvious stuff like turning off my router and turning it back on, looking in Device Manager.

Anyone know what could be causing it?

Answers are needed ASAP, I won't be able to get on the internet for 2 weeks after Friday most likely. Even if they are long shots, post everything that could be of anything please, thanks

USB is evil...

Comment

1. check cable. if the xbox is able to connect then use its' cable
      2. check you wifi card, it might be physically damaged (it sometimes takes up to 6months for electro-static damage to show up). update drivers and bios. if you are at the latest bios, reflash again.
      3. try connecting directly to modem (bypass router).
      4. check router configs, update bios/firmware. set to factory defaults and try connecting via cable then wifi.
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Try disabling 802.1x authentication. Go to the properties of network connection, then click authentication tab.

Do an IPConfig to see if you're actually getting an IP address.

Right-click network connection and select "Repair".

Do everything lowlifecat suggested.

Nowhere speaks the truth.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Additional Info

Did an IPConfig, I'm not particularly sure what it means though, I gather that I am getting an IP address at least:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3: //LAN 3 is my Wireless USB adapter

Connection Specific DNS Suffix: [it's blank]
          IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2 // if I type this into the address bar it comes up with XAMPP (something I've installed but not bothered to take advantage of yet (i.e. use).
          Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.0
          Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: //MY Ethernet Port

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: Cable Disconnected

//End of IPConfig

My latptop had SIMILAR problems yesterday, but was able to connect for short periods of time, unlike my computer which refuses to allow me to connect for whatever reason. My laptop is still cutting out but only after much longer periods of time compared with yesterday..

I have tried using the cable I use to connect my Xbox, still no success and I do not see why. :-/

Comment

Seems like you are getting an IP from the router. Try making a connection without encryption...
            FT.

Comment

I was able to connect to it after..

I removed the security on it, also I had to make some adjustments in order to connect to the internet.

So now, I have another problem. I want to have the connection encrypted or atleast protected in some way, but, if I do that, I can no longer connect to it. What should I do and what is the problem? Without the encryption people can connect to my router in my area, I believe that is happening already but I'm not certain.

Comment

Lock the router to specific MAC addresses? Not exactly secure, but stops casual hijacking...
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

What GNEP said, and try a different encryption protocol. WPA/PSK works best for me. Make sure you have XP fully patched too.
                  FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                    What GNEP said, and try a different encryption protocol. WPA/PSK works best for me. Make sure you have XP fully patched too.
                    I was using WPA/PSK when it happened

I don't want to sound like a complete muppet but how do I find out the Mac Address of my computer (Win 2000 PRO), my laptop (Win XP HOME) and also, my Xbox?

Comment

On the windows boxes, type

ipconfig /all

at a command prompt.

No idea on the xbox.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Your router's config screens might tell you (it's on the DHCP clients table on mine)

Comment

If/when I run into this I first save the routers setups, revert to its defaults (both are in the Linksys WRT54GS's admin pages) then from the command prompt type;

ipconfig /release

then

ipconfig /registerdns

Yes, I upgraded from the old Linksys BEFSR41 wired-only router. It didn't break; it's still working fine and handling my middle sons network and internet needs at his house.

That thing is one of my best hardware purchases. I bought it many years ago when they first came out and its run 24/7 ever since save for power outages etc. That thing is damned near bulletproof

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 April 2006, 11:29.
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Agreee with Doc on the BEFSR41

Comment

Working...
                            X