Overprescription of ADHD drugs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overprescription of ADHD drugs....

Perhaps this technically belongs to the Science & Military forum, but this topic has a much wider interest group than the science/tech junkies. That said New Scientist has published an excellent article that's IMO too long to just copy;

Prescription rates for Ritalin;

Why are the US and Canada so close in rates? IMO because of their geographic proximity and its affect on media, educational and medical cultures. Similarly the UK is "infected" by the ease of communication between said groups, but not as much.

IMO this is because of their more traditional educational culture, which the US and Canada have deviated from. Here we change reading and other programs on an almost yearly basis, and often these programs are so different the kids are totally confused.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 April 2006, 07:19.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Just on the Japan side of things, 1) japanese kids are generally expected to be 'over active' 2) with that in mind, every child here participates in after school sport and or other clubs. joining a 'club' here is more or less mandatory.
    Keeps them active, and worn out
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

That is the correct perspective. Here little kids are expected to be little robots once they hit 1st or 2nd grade; working quietly in task groups. Unfortunately due to the overemphasis of politically correct indoctrination programs they often don't get 5 days of instruction a week nor gym or other such activities to burn off their energies. Dumb.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Wow, I agree with you, M.

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

it would be interesting to see the correlation between increase in ADHD and 'playstationification' of demographic groups.
          *to clarify, the keep them indoors 'cause its safe' factor.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Things should be like they were on Little House on the Prairie.. walk 5mi to and from school every day.. recreation means walking down to the river to fish.. no fat kids with extra energy there.

Comment

Then what are you doing on the computer? And how close is your job that you bought that bigass truck to drive to?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X