Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source code management: Big merge tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source code management: Big merge tools?

Hi guys,
    We've got a good bit of work to do for ourselves at my job, and we're looking for good tools to do it. One of our products is based on BSD, and we started our own fork a while back, and our CVS repositories show a LOT of changes in that time. Meanwhile, the BSD project has moved on as well. We want to merge the OS changes back into our projects. That's a BIG job.

Can anybody suggest tools to help us with the code merge?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Araxis merge the best tool on windows has every feature you need and is blazing fast with big files.

For all other oses http://www.guiffy.com/ is fine altough it's been a while since I used it.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I don't think this will be easy, no matter what tools you use.

I have Araxis on my Windows machine and it's excellent, as KeiFront said.

I think the KDE GUI diff tool (kdiff, I think) is getting close to Araxis for the user interface. It's not quite as nice, since it still uses the multiple source / single output window split. Araxis lets you move changes from one file to the other (either direction), insert or remove changes, and it's an editor as well, so you can just make changes as you see fit (add a comment here or there, etc).

CVS may help a bit as well. It may be possible to get the cvs server to import the BSD repository as a branch in your local repository. If that doesn't work, it's probably possible with some hairy scripting. If you can get both branches into the same CVS repo, then cvs itself may be able to auto-merge some things for you.

An interesting problem. I'd love to know what you end up doing.

- Steve

Comment

A lot of people I work with use beyond compare, its very nice to use and has some nice plugins only thing is its its windows, but I guess you could use wine or do it windows...bleh maybe not.

I might have to give Araxis and Guiffy a try myself.

Comment

Working...
        X