X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyro FireWire DVD-R/RW!

Just found this in the news section at the ADS website:

http://www.adstech.com/media_center/...christina.html
    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

I'm not surprised by the Firewire DVD-R/RW; I just don't get USB video capture devices. From what I can see as far as numbers go, there isn't enough bandwidth on the USB 1.1 spec to get 30fps 640x480 (or 704x480, or 720x480, whatever)... unless I'm missing something?

Any products I've seen so far are limited to 320x240/30fps or 640x480/15fps.

- Aryko

Comment

Agreed, USB TV/video capture is pretty useless. I have one since I had to pull my Hauppauge WinTV card to make room for a network card when I had to replace my Orange Micro 1394/100BaseTX combo card because it couldn't output DV back to the camcorder from the 1394 drive.

While the USB device is pretty useless for capture it does OK for Netmeeting/webcam type stuff and is tolerable for watching video in a window -- particulary monitoring my perimeter security cameras.

--wally.

Comment

perimeter security cameras? cool...are you like a secret agent

Comment

If I told you, I'd have to kill you :-)

Actually I like to be able to monitor the pool and other areas outside the house while I'm working. I use those cheapo X-10 2.4 GHz wireless cameras so its easy to set things up to click a button and change the view, or have an automatic scan. Their quality is such its not very demanding of the display/capture software.

Also handy when I expect a package as I can't hear the FedEX guy knock on the front door when I'm at the computer. The UPS guy knows me well enought to just put the packages in our workout room between the house and garage.

--wally.

Comment

Ha...

I remember when Matrox shipped the RT-2000 for betatesting. The UPS guy put it UNDER a large shrub on Friday, didn't leave a delivery note, and it stayed there until Monday when it was discovered by one of the kids when he was trimming the shrubs.

Luckily it didn't rain and it didn't get ripped it off over the weekend. WE sure couldn't see it where he put it....

Needless to say, now they ship stuff "signature only"

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 27 May 2001).]

Comment

Aryko,

It would seem that most USB video devices are meant for internet-calibre work, not for output back to tape, etc. It looks like USB will mainly be used for relatively slow devices like printers and scanners. I've found it useful to think of FireWire as "USB on steroids" or "simple SCSI" and it looks like lots of devices are on the way which will utilise this technology. As we know, it's mostly been used for connecting video cameras but there are FireWire CD-R/RWs around and there are rumours of high quality FireWire audio digitising devices on the horizon. I find the portability aspect of external FireWire devices very appealing, don't you?

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Frank Marshall (edited 28 May 2001).]
              Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Even USB is intended to be used for 30fps digital video.

<A HREF="http://www.lego.com/studios/products/camera1.asp" TARGET=_blank>The USB camera that got me </A>

The whole set also has some scenery, camera rails, fan and editing software included. Heck, there's even some T-rex models and Steven Spielberg miniature in it.

And while we are on the topic of security cameras, have you ever considered mounting the camera on a robot and letting it go around collecting footage? take a look at the visioncommand then...
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                X