Bought a new beastie :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new beastie :)

Just purchased an HP xw9300 workstation with dual AMD Opterons 275's, 2GB ram and 80GB WD as C: and three (yet to be determaned) 250GB SATA II drives in RAID 0 configuration.

Last edited by Elie; 23 March 2006, 21:08.

Have you sent PM to Gurm yet?

Comment

Nope

Comment

Nice, are you going to give cinerella a go?

Comment

wow! ... and where exactly in Canada are you? more specifically, what is the location of your computer?
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

and is it security tagged
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Man, that is one sweet rig. I want benchmarks when you get it!

Comment

Sure thanks guys

I will also be buying an ATI X1800 for the Xw8200 and will keep the X700 for the 9300

Regards,
                Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                  Just purchased an HP xw9300 workstation with dual AMD Opterons 275's, 2GB ram and 80GB WD as C: and three (yet to be determaned) 250GB SATA II drives in RAID 0 configuration.
                  Nice rack system.

But enlighten me: why 3x 250 GB disks in RAID0 in stead of 4x 250 GB disks in RAID5?
                  It yields the same storage space, but with added security - I doubt the price of a single harddisk isn't that big in comparison to the system... Or is it a software raid?

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

To VJ: Because it only has 4 SATA II connectors, so my C drive took up a connection, and I have three left for three SATAII drives in raid 0 simply for storage space and speed.

This machine is primarily for video editing.

To Chrono: Believe it or not, ATI's DX 9 DirectX9 GetRenderTargetData() has way more bandwidth than Nvidia will ever have, so it is recommended I install ATI X1800XT with 256 or 512MB instead of Nvidia.

Also Nvidia does not make good use of it's on board memory, even though it says for example 256MB, it will only use 128MB or so and rely on system memory for the rest, this is what I was told.

So I'm going ATI

Comment

To VJ: Because it only has 4 SATA II connectors, so my C drive took up a connection, and I have three left for three SATAII drives in raid 0 simply for storage space and speed.

This machine is primarily for video editing.

To Chrono: Believe it or not, ATI's DX 9 DirectX9 GetRenderTargetData() has way more bandwidth than Nvidia will ever have, so it is recommended I install ATI X1800XT with 256 or 512MB instead of Nvidia.

Also Nvidia does not make good use of it's on board memory, even though it says for example 256MB, it will only use 128MB or so and rely on system memory for the rest, this is what I was told.

So I'm going ATI
                      sounds like TurboCache (aka HyperMemory for ATI cards). Currently only used on low-end cards afaik

Comment

Ah, ok...

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                        X