"Vista gamers need 2GB plus of memory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Vista gamers need 2GB plus of memory"

"RECENTLY we managed to spend some time using a Vista machine. The machine had Athlon 4000+ and 2 GB of memory with Geforce 7800 GTX card."

"You can clearly see that you need more than 1GB of memory to run the game. Far Cry is not that an intensive game, and we ended up with 1.23 GB page file and you can see that we are running a single instance of Explorer and a task manager. "
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Mushkin XP PC2-5300 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-667 CL3-3-3-10 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit $329.99 CAD @ncix.com

not bad I guess, I guess its about time 2gb+ becomes the norm - how many years were we at 512/1gb?
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

If only people in charge of supplying office desktops realised that financial analysts wouldn't waste half their time swearing at the screen if they got 2g plus... (rather than the usual 256 or maybe 512...) And ooh my wasted time in the last 2 days alone could've paid for that. (sorry, rant over )
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        If only people in charge of supplying office desktops realised that financial analysts wouldn't waste half their time swearing at the screen if they got 2g plus... (rather than the usual 256 or maybe 512...) And ooh my wasted time in the last 2 days alone could've paid for that. (sorry, rant over )
        I just told my company that because my PC was so crap there was a good chance that the systems I develop would crash meaning I'd loose everythinng..

Well they believed it and I ended up with one of the most powerful PC's in the company, give it a try.

Edit: Gnep, btw, I've got one of my PC's BOINCing again.

Comment

And to think that under W2k I could run 10+ background apps and Farcry at good framerates without hd thrashing and only 1gb ram
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

|Mehen|, I'm still on 256 on my main machine...so the question for some is how many years we will be at 512/1gb (upgrading now).

(anyway...not much need for more on a machine that can't play games beyond what G400 is capable of and isn't connected to net - no real use of multitasking)

Comment

"Gamers Don't need Vista" sounds better, but there are enough lemmings that it will probably get enough traction.

Comment

Halo 2 will run only on Vista... :/

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                  And to think that under W2k I could run 10+ background apps and Farcry at good framerates without hd thrashing and only 1gb ram
                  bfd, I remember when everything I ever needed ran in 640KB.

Times change...

I like Marshmallowman's comment. If you're happy with the way XP runs just stick with it.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

i think it will depend a lot on what 64bit software will be like (although I really have no idea what changes it will bring about)

ram is fairly cheap and is always easily upgradable, so I really don't mind

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                      not bad I guess, I guess its about time 2gb+ becomes the norm - how many years were we at 512/1gb?
                      32-bit machines cannot address 2GB of RAM correctly. I've got it in mine (running XP32), and the Physical Address Extension crap is on.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Is there anything particulalry bad about it, Wombat? And if so, what's the limit which shouldn't be crossed if you don't desparetelly need memory?

Comment

It's a software hack. So there's an extra step of translation before programs can hit my RAM. I don't need that speedbump.

2GB should be exactly where it shows up. 2^32 is 4GB, and that top bit is reserved in a Wintel box.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Windows XP 64bit has been good for me, UTK4 64bit, far cry 64bit virtual dub 64bit.

Quite happily recompiled my old mfc apps using the 64bit pdk from MS, as far as I am concerned 64 bit is here, I haven't even bothered to dual boot to some ol 32bit (P)OS at all.

Comment

The problem with XP is it will only address 4GB of ram, plus it's onyl 32 bit

I am hoping that Vista will address over a terrabyte in ram as well as being fully 64 bit code with backwards compatibility for 32 bit code just like XP's run in compatibility mode.

So yes I am looking forward to it, but if non of the features above will be supported, in my editing rigs I may be forced to run Windows 64bit

Cheers,
                              Elie

Comment

Working...
                              X