System pauses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System pauses

I've just replaced the M/Board on my Marvel G-200 system with a Soyo SY-BA+100, and am having problems: Whenever the system tries to play a wav sound, it freezes for anything from a fraction of a second to five seconds, then continues as if nothing had happened (although sometimes the wave sound it finally plays stutters at first). This behavior seems to get worse the longer the system has been running. I'm using an AWE64 value ISA soundcard on IRQ9 (which is also new in this system - the old motherboard had an on-board Ensoniq PCI sound adaptor), and WinME (with the Win98 Matrox drivers).

I'm at a loss with this one, but I'm hoping this will ring a bell with someone in this forum.

John

Did you reinstall Windows after changing the MB. It's always a good thing to do so after changing motherboard in your system.

------------------
    Live long and prosper!
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

Just a thought, if you have Mcafee running in the background, disable or uninstall it.

It causes so many problems with my machine, that I had to disable it for good

ALSO what JLP said.

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

Yes, it was a fresh install of Win ME. In fact, I only went for ME because it was $10 cheaper than Win98SE. I probably wouldn't be having these problems if I'd spent that $10

I'm not running McAfee. I am running Norton Systemworks at the moment, which includes Norton AV, but the pauses happen whether or not that's running.

John

Comment

Actually, "replacing the motherboard" is a bit of an understatement. I replaced the motherboard, the soundcard, the case, the boot drive, an ethernet card and a SCSI card, removed a CD-ROM, and added an additional hard drive.

But other than that, it's the same system (I kept three other hard drives, a CD-R drive, a DVD-ROM drive, a Hollywood+ card, and my Marvel G200)

John

[This message has been edited by John Wray (edited 05 May 2001).]

Comment

You've probably already checked this, but confirm in Device Manager that the DMA on the CDR and DVD-ROM is off. My system behaves exactly as you describe when DMA for these devices is on.

Kevin

Comment

Both the DVD-ROM and the CD-R are SCSI devices; there's no DMA setting for them.

John

Comment

actually.....

i have the exact same problem with an awe 64 and win ME

dunno what causes it, but for me it seems to happen a lot more often, like it'll open it (eventually) but even while playing it'll studder then be ok for another few mins, then do it some more

Comment

I think I'm glad to hear I'm not alone - that holds out the hope that someone else out there might have found a solution. What video card are you running?

Do the pauses in your system seem to get worse the longer the system's been running? When I first boot, my machine runs fine, but the more I use it, the longer and more frequent the sound pauses seem to get. I haven't worked out if there's any particular app that I run that makes things worse.

John

Comment

i'm using a g200 marvel, but running it as a normal g200 since it's no longer my editing machine. my system pauses do tend to get worse the longer that the comps been on, but that's just windows i guess. my pauses are more than just audio though. the whole thing will lock up for a few seconds. i hate it

Comment

Yes, audio is the trigger, but the pauses affect the whole system.

You say you don't use your Marvel for capture - do you use PC-VCR at all (e.g. for watching TV)?

John

Comment

Well, I seem to have licked the pauses. I found a Marvel G400-TV on clearance for $169, and swapping that for my old Marvel G200-TV seems to have cured the pauses. I bought the G400 for the dual-head, so fixing this problem was a major bonus.

John

Comment

i have no video cpture drivers installed, i use my g400 max and a dv crd in my other system to do editing.

i suppose i should try and get a diff video card and see if it fixes the problem too

Comment

Working...
                          X