Can I get all this in a pda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get all this in a pda?

I'm on 3G in the UK, pay for usage only, don't use very much.
    Currently have a LG8110. Not very good reception or battery life, getting a bit old. Wifey has the same.

I'd like a device that will replace the phone, provide some pda functionality and also SATNAV. PDA functionality would include syncing with Outlook and viewing .pdf docs. Full web browsing would be nice cos the only remote email I have is Outlook Web Access (I can receive via IMAP but can't reply to colleagues using work email address, perhaps would be ok to reply from another address, which would work).

Oh, and WiFi would be nice, but not essential.

Am I asking too much? Any suggestions?

TIA

T.

Update: Three recommend the A1000 which I can have for free on a £15/month contract...can't find any concrete info on GPS though, I think it might just be their location based service stuff.
    Last edited by Fat Tone; 20 March 2006, 08:49.
    FT.

I think one of these would suit you just fine:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Looks interesting thanks, but its not available until July. I'd quite like something for next Thursday
      The screen is rather small too. I'd sacrifice the t-board for a bigger screen.
      FT.

Comment

Don't know it this is offered in the UK though. I have one and they are very nice. A few software bugs, but that's epxected from an MS device
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Haven't seen that brand in the UK.

I think this does everything...http://www.totalpda.co.uk/HP-iPAQ-hw...rn-Europe.aspx
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
            I'd like a device that will replace the phone, provide some pda functionality and also SATNAV.
            Fujitsu-Siemens has (announced) Windows Mobile PDAs that have built in phone, 3G, wifi and gps.

PDA functionality would include syncing with Outlook and viewing .pdf docs. Full web browsing would be nice cos the only remote email I have is Outlook Web Access (I can receive via IMAP but can't reply to colleagues using work email address, perhaps would be ok to reply from another address, which would work).
            To send mails, you need to use the SMTP server of your internet provider. I don't see why this wouldn't work (I use it with my phone).

The functionality is possible with all Symbian phones (Series 60, UIQ, Series 80, ... - wifi only on some models), as well as all Windows Mobile phones. The biggest problem will be the GPS (bluetooth is an alternative), but Fujitsu-Siemens has devices that combine everything.

Jorg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Blackberry!
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

It's an Audiovox/UTStarCom phone. SPrint is just a local carrier.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There are a few Asus WinMobile PDAs with built-in GPS. Any windows mobile device can run Opera.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                    Haven't seen that brand in the UK.
                    It's a HTC design which is sold under different brands/carriers. In the UK Vodafone, O2 and T-Mobile do variants of it

Hasn't been that well reviewed.

There aren't that many with built in GPS receivers but most will work with a Bluetooth one if you don't mind carrying a separate receiver around
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hi,

There is no 3G-only PDA on the market (at least the UK market) at the moment.
                      So if you want a PDA you'll need to change to other networks.

I have an XDA 2i from O2, which is nice but is not as good as the new ones.

Have a look at the O2 XDA Exec and the XDA Mini S (not the old Mini) and their equivalents under different brands. They are both nice and reasonably priced.

XDA Exec is both 2G and 3G and very powerful, although big.
                      XDA Mini S is only 2G but very portable, but only QVGA res.
                      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Tony: Have you seen that iPAQ onsale with a contract? I'm looking for a replacement to my H3970 but I'm not paying £500 for it...
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Should ask me, dude

Here you go.

Other tariffs available.
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

check your PM WyWyWyWy
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Paddy - the 6515 is to be replaced by the 6915 in a couple of weeks. Also, check ebay for the 6515 as HP sell their refurbs on there!
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X