Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A way to use HP930C inkjet without colour catridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to use HP930C inkjet without colour catridge?

Is there some way to force HP930C inkjet to work without colour catridge? (under Windows, 98SE to be precise) The one which was inside apparently has on of the "contact pins" missing, and it doesn't look like it could be easily repaired...

The pin is missing on the cartridge itself or on the contact within the printer? It refuses to print anything at all without a detected color cartridge inside?
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

On the cartridge of course (yeah, it's not really a pin, more a "contact surface"...how it would be best to call it?)
      And yes, printer refuses to work, at least under control of Windows 98SE drivers from HP (but I can't check any others...)

Comment

So the printing settings in the drivers are all completely set to B & W and it still does absolutely nothing? I guess MS drivers for even similar models don't exist in Win98...taking a cue from a recent thread, can you get hold of working DOS drivers for it?

That is, of course, assuming it's only software preventing it from printing with just one cartridge. Erm, go to an inkjet refill place and ask them if they have an empty such cartridge handy??
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I didn't mention this...it seems that the requirement of having both cartridges correctly installed is in the printer itself (it reports cartridge malfunction also when deattached from the computer). Doesn't mean it's entrirelly impossible that there's a way to force it to work, so I'm asking...

(and yes, HP provides drivers for Win98, with basically the same functionality as for NT line)

Comment

My HP d135 was like that too. Damn annoying since it seemed to use up some of the color ink even when printing in monochrome.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well it'll still print with an EMPTY color cartridge, but not if it doesn't sense one at all. I am not aware of any hardware hacks for it, and as you said it IS in the printer (trust me on this one)... so I just don't know what to tell you, sorry!
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                Well it'll still print with an EMPTY color cartridge, but not if it doesn't sense one at all.
                My d135 would not print anything with an empty color cartridge installed.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

is that based on an actual measurement of ink left, or an internal counter which calculates when it should be out of ink?. .if an actual measurement, I wonder if you can short out the sensor to make it think it is full ...
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Highly unlikely. Those cartridges have nasty little chips in them so that they can't be refilled.

Comment

I suspected they might be controlled that way.. yay HP
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                        They are just one in a big pack that does it that way.
                        In fact it may be all of them by now.

Lead by that nasty Epson I might add.
                        Last edited by cjolley; 16 March 2006, 10:27.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Canon is still the best for inkjets...
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Most modern consumer printer will not allow you to print unless all cartidges are present and has ink. How do you think they make money off selling a printer for under $100? It's the Gillette theory (which is used in the console gaming world). Sell the razor at a loss and make all the profit off the blade refills.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                              My Epson multifunction operates the same way. In fact, it won't even let you scan when any one of the four cartridges is absent (or I believe empty).

So yay Epson as well. (Just noticed cjolley and jamm beat me to it )
                              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                              X