Windows Defender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Defender

Anybody using Microsoft Windows Defender beta (anti-spyware)? Is this the best blocker to use on W2K or would you recommend something else, like CounterSpy?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

It's predecessor, MS AntiSpyware, seemed like the best blocker to me. The best removal tool these days seems like Spy Sweeper, which is free for that purpose.

I'm not sure if Windows Defender is any better or worse than MS AntiSpyware.

I'm just surpised that my installs of MS AntiSpyware haven't ask to update themselves to Windows Defender. I've had to do it manually.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Using it and loving it...it's now a service and it's extremely unobtrusive, only coming up if you really are about to install some spyware...it also provides an excellent view of ALL the processes running on the system.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I like that it became a service and was rewritten in general (yep, it was once a Visual Basic-based application), so it seems to drag the system down just that little bit less (not that it really did to begin with). I don't like that it has become more nagging and more obtrusive. I really wish the Allow/Whatever else box was more in the style of a systray popup that would allow for a far easier setting, with the option to obtain more information that is available in the current window. The current window appears geared for times where you have multiple events occuring that need to be dealt with, and it works great for that, or at least I assume it does as I never get multiple items.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
          Using it and loving it...it's now a service and it's extremely unobtrusive, only coming up if you really are about to install some spyware...it also provides an excellent view of ALL the processes running on the system.
          Same here, running defender and onecare at the moment.

Comment

I just installed it (learned about it from this thread), and it looks fine.

(I had no active spyware protection, only an antivirus and a firewall)

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Thumbs up for it from here too.
              Been using it since it cam out.
              Seems to work very well.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

What's the performance hit with it?

I've been using Spy Sweeper, but I was rather disappointed when Spy Sweeper 4 was MUCH more resource-hungry than Spy Sweeper 3 was, so I don't run the active shield any more...
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Not noticeable.

I'm running Defender and Onecare (after uninstalling AVG Pro) and I haven't noticed any performance decreases.

Comment

I'm running the same combo as dbdg, also very pleased with the resource usage
                    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I was using that combo with good results too.
                      Until I ghosted onto a new larger HD and OneCare got so gorked up it couldn't be fixed even after uninstalling and reinstalling* .
                      Now I am running Defender with AVG Free and am really impressed with the combo.

*Really the whole thing is so screwed up I'm going to format and reinstall when I get a chance.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'd be running it with NOD32, because AVG Free has become a pig.

Not a gigantic bloated hand-fed pig like Norton or McAfee, but a pig nonetheless!
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          ...NOD32...
                          That is just WAY too much money.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                            That is just WAY too much money.
                            What is this "money" of which you speak?

Comment

Oh...
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X